View All Subjects

Yoga as addiction treatment.

created by: Yavorcik 3 years, 11 months ago

In the classical definition of Yoga given by Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras, ahimsa (non-harming) has a place of relevance. It is the first of the five yamas. And its definition is clear: nonviolence. As the first yama, it also means that it comes before all others, perhaps the most important of them all, the guiding force and motivation to live a life full of serenity.

In its most literal sense, nonviolence may be interpreted as not hurting or killing others. And it is, indeed. The goal is to practice compassion toward all sentient beings, including self. Embodying ahimsa extends beyond this literal interpretation to include not just violent actions but also thoughts, feelings, and words. We must pay constant attention, be vigilant yet compassionate.

According to eastern religions, addiction is not treated separately as it often is in western religions, it's simply one of the various forms of suffering. We are all destined to suffer, however, we can reduce the amount we give and receive with the help of yoga. Yoga offers a healthy outlet to cope with daily stress and triggers, aids in preventing relapse, and reduces withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Yoga is not a religion, but it is spiritual in nature. It requires a small space, a mat, the body, and intention. With these tools, people gain skill sets to better approach and heal from the suffering of addiction.

We cannot escape suffering, but we can diminish it. Yoga has proven itself over the centuries to be both a teacher and a best friend for those struggling with addiction. Spending time on the mat brings a sense of acceptance for what is, what has been, and what will be. Yoga embraces an “as if” attitude rather than “what if.” Suffering and change are challenges that promise healing and growth if used the right way. Yoga offers a way that may not be perfect, but it is surely a way that’s helped many achieve an addiction-free life based on non-judgement and accepting self as is, full of potential to be better each and every time. It’s a series of steps on a path towards non-attachment, the ultimate goal in rejecting suffering.

by: Yavorcik 3 years, 11 months ago
replying to Yavorcik

So one of the blessings of the virus is that we need to adapt by adopting spiritual practices instead of material distractions. I just found that safe place within by concentrating on my fingertips as I did a yoga move slowly and deliberately. Video games, booze, shiny cars, big houses, fancy clothes, T.V., football games, elegant restaurants...all are truly worthless now. No need to worry about how I look to someone else. Now we are forced to turn to Spirituality to find that safe place within...that place that is so much more lasting, fulfilling, and healthier for us. My hope is that some of what we learn during the virus will stay with us when it passes. Otherwise we will continue to ingest the materialistic toxins that destroy our souls and emit the harmful toxins that destroy our environment and lead to the true apocalypse. This pandemic is a wake up call to humanity.

by: Clean 3 years, 11 months ago
replying to Clean

love this 🙏♥️🙏♥️

I’ve always wanted to get into yoga for this reason. Thank you for sharing this.

by: mmaa 3 years, 11 months ago
replying to mmaa

I personally practice traditional Mysore Ashtanga Yoga. start with Sun Salutations A & B. there are plenty of YouTube videos available. my teacher is @yogamarque on Instagram. he has excellent beginner videos. Namaste on your journey. 🙏♥️

Thank You for this I am trying to become more Spiritual in many ways including Yoga! I am following Sadhguru currently I love his videos and just bought his book

by: BrandyLee 3 years, 11 months ago
replying to BrandyLee

Sadguru has a beautiful message and his journey is inspiring!! I likewise read his book and follow him on social media.