View All Subjects

Alcoholic marriage

created by: Bell 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm new to this forum but could really use some advice. I'm in a marriage where daily drinking has been a problem for almost 2 years. I wanted to stop drinking daily for so long but didn't have the strength to stop because my husband doesn't have a problem with getting drunk every night. I tried many times to stop but always relapsed when he would hand me the shot. I've tried talking to him many times about how it isn't good for many reasons but always been met with the same response: "I like drinking. I don't want to stop". Well, now I've been sober for 1 week. it has been incredibly hard but for once my husband didn't drink as well. it made it much easier when he wouldn't drink in front of me. But now he wants to go back to drinking. Says he can control it and will only do it on weekends. Something he has claimed many times before. The thought of him drinking makes me want to drink too yet i dont want to drink. We got in a fight about it and how I just shouldn't drink if I don't want to but that he can control it and wants to drink on weekends. I'm not sure what to do if there even is something to do. I just don't want to relapse... again.... Does anyone have any advice?

by: Bell 3 years, 6 months ago
replying to Bell

Been there. That's a tough situation. I'm sorry you won't have his support but know we all care for you. I will pray for you.

by: Virg 3 years, 6 months ago
replying to Bell

I’m in the same boat. My husband on the other hand recognizes we both have a problem and it runs in both our families, and he’s happy to stay not drink with me, but I think it’s not quite as crucial to him as it is to me to not drink. We made it through a recent night where he drank and I tried a little weed, I’m not a smoker at all, but wanted something besides a drink. He couldn’t deal knowing I was on “something” so he drank. As I was chillin’ and just having a convo with my son his visibly drunk and confrontational self became apparent. Then I saw what my son has been seeing for all these years with both parents. It completely devastated me and feel terrible for my 11 year old.
The next day I told him he can drink but not around me or the kid anymore. For my sobriety but mainly for my son’s well being.
Unfortunately that may mean going to a friends house or something not around us. So when he does go out he knows what drinks also make his extra ass-holey, and tries to avoid those as well as keep them to a minimum so he can avoid getting the third degree from me the next morning for being annoying. Most of time He has chosen to stay home and to not drink because he respects my decision because he respects me and knows I am really actively trying... this time.
Anyways, you need to find a good reason to not drink. Even if it’s as simple as for your pet fish, you can do it. Eventually it’ll be for you too.

by: anonymous 3 years, 6 months ago

Get sober for you. let him drink the legalized poison. Work out, go on walks, stay busy, don't drink. Do it for you.

by: BayAreaSober 3 years, 6 months ago