View All Subjects

43 years & am ready to quit...just been very hard

created by: Curtis23 1 week ago

Welcome Curtis ūüĖźūüėĀit's hard admitting defeat but when we concede that we are powerless over our addiction and our lives have become unmanageable that the process recovery can begin .

by: AussieDrunk 1 week ago
replying to AussieDrunk

hi curtis,this forum is a great starting point.i was worried at first about how i would cope without my daily drink but you need to set yourself new daily routinues.when the boredom kicks in and you get the crave take a few minutes to yourself and think about what you have to gain and not lose.we can all do this just one day at a time and time is one of the best medicines we have.

by: Bubbles 1 week ago

Thx, bubbles...I've been in AA for about 6 months & have had small succeses, but keep digressing at some point...I really want to make it stick this time...

by: Curtis23 1 week ago

This forum has been a great help. Welcome.

by: Costiganj 1 week ago

Hi Curtis ,do you have a big book and a sponsor going to meetings is a good start ,from my experience just going to meetings wasn't enough although I wasn't drinking I was in great pain the one thing that made me feel ok with myself was gone . My mind was so foggy I could hardly hear a word people were saying but a few things infiltrated my mind .Get a big book, get a sponsor who has had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps so I did what they suggested I don't being told what to do like most alcoholics so that's why everything is suggested .
I have no choice over wether I drink or not and never did but what I do have now is a choice of maintaining and growing my spiritual condition, a daily reprieve from alcoholism, my way doesn't and never worked .Everyday requires action

by: AussieDrunk 6 days, 22 hours ago

Hi Austin, I am actually reading thru the big book for the 2nd time. After trying a couple of sponsors, I am on my 3rd one & am trying to be patient as he's a Dr & he's pretty busy. Part of my problem is waiting for him to get in touch w/ me. I'm finally learning I need to initiate the contacts & share about the Daily Reflections & 24 hr readings. Anyway, thanks for your support & I look forward to participating in these discussions

by: Curtis23 6 days, 20 hours ago
replying to Curtis23

Hi my Name is Shane (Aussie Drunk ) but you can call me Austin if you like ūüėĀ , there's no rules on how many sponsors you can have and if someone isn't guiding you through the steps as outlined in the 164 pages it's time to get one that will help .But like you said it's really up too us to initiate contact and show our eagerness to get well ,if they aren't matching that and are too busy get a new one ,this disease is deadly .

by: AussieDrunk 6 days, 20 hours ago

you have made the first big step my friend and its not easy but the reward as we go along is great thing we stopped drinking at the same age and today I've got 17 months sober its not being a easy road been going threw a divorce and speerated from my kids but still have stayed sober threw it all the big thing I can say that has helped me is talking with like mined people and go to meetings if you have a big book read page 448 and 449 its about acceptance and once I've accepted that I have a Alegre to alcohol it made things alot easier hang in thier and reach out here and people will help

by: Andrewanderson 5 days, 21 hours ago
replying to Andrewanderson

Thx, Andrew...wow, that's a lot to go thru & stay sober thru it all...very inspirational...I will look up those pgs...I have the allergy as well...those first few sips of vodka sets off a sneezing attack...thx again...I need to focus on one day at a time...I want to be 2 months sober tomorrow & that's not possible...

by: Curtis23 5 days, 20 hours ago

Hey Shane, sry bout that, I meant to type Aussie...either my fingers get in the way, or my phone out-smarts me (not hard! haha)...I appreciate all of the support from everyone...not sure this sponsor will work out, but I will be more patient this time...

by: Curtis23 5 days, 20 hours ago
replying to Curtis23

All good mate I kinda like Austin it's a little bit fancy compared to plain Shane ūüėā make sure to keep checking in here ,we can never have too many recovery tools .

by: AussieDrunk 5 days, 12 hours ago