View All Subjects

Can't make it more than 5 days

created by: richard78 2 years, 10 months ago

Monday thru Friday I can keep away from the bottle. Daily routine with kids at school, going to work, keeping busy it's easy to avoid drinking. Once Saturday comes along and it's time to keep the kids entertained but not so much so that's it super tiring for us is when I have a problem. My wife and I are 42 and we have 2 year old twins and 4.5 year old girl, we're older parents who don't have the energy on the weekend to take them too many places. So we create activities around the house, so I know for 2 days I don't have anywhere to go, that's when I pick up the bottle. It's mostly to deal with stress and pass time but every Monday morning I wake up violently hungover craving a drink. Not sure how to stop this cycle, I'm afraid one weekend could lead to another long bender.

by: richard78 2 years, 10 months ago
replying to richard78

I would schedule an AA meeting for Saturday night. Well worth the hour. Will help with support and accountability and give you a break.

by: Grateful 2 years, 10 months ago
replying to Grateful

I am looking into these, I can't wait til everyone is fully vaccinated. I went to a few prior and it helped so much. Thank you grateful for being such a positive force on this app

replying to richard78

I've been that w/end drunk w/ young kids...even tho I was always active w/ them, it was much the same as you w/ lots of home activities so I cud indulge...w/end AA mtgs are a good suggestion someone else brought up...I will say it is my biggest regret thinking how I cud've been a much better dad w/ out the booze...they grow up fast and are gone b4 you know it...enjoy it more & remember it better w/ out drinking...

by: Curtis23 2 years, 10 months ago
replying to Curtis23

This is 100% me as well, the part that really makes me sad about my habit is my wife can tell when I'm drunk. She said to me once "It's sad that you're much more active and happy with the kids when your drinking" That really broke my heart, but made me realize I need to quit.

First, take a breath. It's ok. the positive is you have cut back to only 2, maybe 3, days a week. that is an accomplishment. The weekends are the most difficult. I recommend reading The Naked Mind by Annie Grace. on the weekends when you want a drink pick up her book instead. the perception on drinking she has are a real eye opener. The other positive is you are coming back. You are still trying and it will come. I'm on day 11. Made it 22 days last month and gave in. I was so mad at myself. all I can do is try again. I will say since February 28th I can count the number of days I have had a drink on one hand which for me is huge. You can do this.

by: Brachladi21 2 years, 10 months ago
replying to Brachladi21

I appreciate this so much, thank you. I will look into this book asap.