View All Subjects

Hi, new friends

created by: BFD 5 days, 13 hours ago

Hi pals, I've just stumbled across this app and read some forum posts. It's a very wonderful community you all have here!

I had no intention of quitting drinking. I have a high-paying job in Africa that I am more than capable of doing well despite drinking a full bottle of vodka every day for the past 3+ years. Then, 16 days ago, I got malaria and was VERY close to death. Since malaria and it's medication attacks the liver, there were some serious concerns about my drinking. My liver is absurdly normal for a 40-year-old with my drinking history, with a 'moderate' level of fattiness (but no scarring). However, the awareness of my own mortality from the malaria has caused me to reevaluate what is REALLY important and I am attempting to continue sobriety after leaving the hospital. I have been 16 days sober in total, with six of those days being a sort of forced detox in the hospital. In a way, I am framing this as if malaria threatened my life and simultaneously saved it. The clarity of mind, the energy, the lack of hangover and depression -- these are all gifts and I intend to keeping riding this wave.

Thank you to the app creator and to all of you fine folks.

by: BFD 5 days, 13 hours ago
replying to BFD

Sounds like you may have gotten a wake up call from the Good Lord...make good use of it...happy to hear you are better...I am fairly new here too & am just beginning to get involved in the forum...I believe it can be a good tool if we just keep checking in, share our stories & try to help each other one day at a time...

by: Curtis23 5 days, 11 hours ago
replying to Curtis23

While I'm not religious in any way, I truly appreciate the sentiment! And yes, this community seems extremely welcoming and helpful. I'm very happy to be a part of it and hopefully be able to contribute meaningfully someday.

by: BFD 5 days, 5 hours ago
replying to BFD

You are welcome dear friend. Keep folowing the sobetool method each day. Read the mesage and follow its suggestions. Check your rewards and post anything on the forum. It's a daily process. Check out 12 step meetings too.

by: Clean 4 days, 18 hours ago

Welcome BFD, great to have you among us 🙏

by: NeverGiveUp 5 days, 12 hours ago

Welcome! I would definitely say you got a wake up call from a Higher Power! Keep using this app and forum, it can really help you on this journey! Much love!

by: hhawkins4229 5 days, 8 hours ago
replying to hhawkins4229

Thanks a ton, Hawkins! Think this app will definitely be a new daily routine.

by: BFD 5 days, 5 hours ago

Hi BFD,sometimes we all need a major wake up call to open our eyes to the addiction we actually have.mine was having a fit and finding out i had epeliesy i thought this was bad enough but i went through alot of tests and found out i have corric failing liver diease and need a trsnsplant.at first i thought well if im going to die i might as well carry on drinking but my family made me realise there is still something to live for.i do still get times were i would love a drink but fight it using different tools.

by: Bubbles 4 days, 15 hours ago
replying to Bubbles

Thanks, Bubbles. I am usually not one for believing in destiny or fate, but the past 18 days have brought on some interesting challenges in rapid succession that are testing my convictions. Latest news is that I've now got COVID, despite having had my first shot if AstraZeneca. Going to use this new fun challenge as a way to cut out smoking as well. When life hands you alligators, make Gatorade!
Thank you to everyone going through this struggle together. Your successes and setbacks pave the way for the rest of us (and hopefully yourselves).

by: BFD 3 days, 14 hours ago