View All Subjects

Family wedding today

created by: Trying_my_best 5 years ago

I'm going to a family wedding today. My family culture is one of heavy drinking. They are verbally supportive of my recovery but continue to drink in excess around me. I tried to discuss it and was told that I should have said something before the drinking started and that I just need to deal with it since they don't have alcohol issues. I know i need to deal with it and I am trying to. Today I am going to try to just focus on the bride, the event and enjoying myself. I tell myself that, but honestly, I feel so anxious!

by: Trying_my_best 5 years ago

Do yo have someone you can call if you feel like relapsing at the wedding? A few accountability partners are essential. You just step outside for a break and call anyone on the list. You should go to an AA meeting and introduce yourself as new. if you do so, often, you will be given a list of people you can call anytime! It is such a great program. I used the list many times especially in early recovery and even sometimes now to share how I am honestly feeling. What a gift that is. It's been a major reason I have 30 years C& S.

by: Clean 5 years ago

Thank you for your response. I made it through the wedding yesterday. There was a lot of alcohol and awkward family moments but I am happy with how I conducted myself. I'm going to be vigilant about my thoughts today and have planned some fun activites to keep me focused on good things.

by: Trying_my_best 5 years ago
replying to Trying_my_best

Yay!I need to be vigilant about my thoughts too. As soon as one little thing goes off course, my mind starts wandering to how terrible the world is, and how it is unfair because i can't avoid problems. i have to go through a mental process each morning to switch my thinking around. Starts with remembering I'm not the only person with problems, nothing's perfect, and that i need to say the serenity prayer, try to fix what i can and then be patient, grateful, with perspective about how my problems are no where near as bad right now as people who are waking up with a terrible hangover unable to see a way out - like i used to be.

by: Clean 5 years ago