View All Subjects

New here. Would appreciate support

created by: Sollie 5 years ago

Hello I’m new. Desperate to get sober. Drink a bottle of wine a night. Stressful life, young kids, busy job, nothing special. Mum died this January, my sister was in intensive care for 8 weeks, still in hospital. It’s been a tough year but I’m no worse off than many. Loving husband who sadly thinks the answer is to help me relax with a bottle each night. Family history of alcoholism. Desperate to stop. Would love some help. Not sure I deserve it or I will get any help. Worth a try I guess

by: Sollie 5 years ago
replying to Sollie

I understand what you are going through I've lost my job and and my family just keep telling me that I don't have no will power. but one thing I can remember along time ago when I had sobriety we as to remind myself that my Higher power can't be my spare tire He has to be my steering wheel

by: Slimvic64 5 years ago

Welcome.

The fact that you are looking for help here and to recognize that You need help is already a big step, in fact the 1st step of AA

On February 24, 2016 I arrived in an AA meeting, I did not know what I would find, but I was desperate, without hope, very sad and with an unbearable pain in the soul.
Almost losing my family, I did not know what i was going to find in A.A, but my only certainty was that I needed help and i could not take that life anymore.

It was when no one else believed in me, nor myself, that strangers believed in me and welcome me saying “Today you are the most important person here”.

I found strange people so serene that I couldn’t believe that they ever had problems with alcohol in their lives, but hearing the testimonials I saw that I was not alone, I was between equals.

The testimonials and the programming gradually helped me find my way.

Stopping drinking is very important, but it is the tip of the iceberg. there is an entire emotional reconstruction, breaking old patterns that have been happening ever since. Literature is rich and this space is rich, but the A.A’s meetings is what has kept me on the journey of sobriety, learning every day on how to become a better person.

Helping the alcoholic who still suffers, as they did with me, is also a source of energy to keep me on this journey.

My suggestion to You is to try to attend the A.A’s meetings, you will be among equals and you will see that you are not alone in the battle against alcoholism. I went to the A.A to stop drinking and I found what I would never dream of. Today I am at peace with God and myself and I can provide Peace to the people around me.

I wish you what I ask for me every day, much Peace, Harmony, Serenity, Courage and Wisdom.

by: jasand 5 years ago
replying to jasand

So true and what a beautiful way of describing it.

by: anonymous 5 years ago

hi & well done recognising u need help & reaching out u have a battle on ur hands but one u can win make urself a reward chart & buy a pack of stticky stars, give urself one every day u can stay sober & once a week if u collect 7 stars buy urself a treat with the money u have saved i did this coming off heroin methadone & diazepam it was a good motivation after the first time feels good to treat urself good luck x

by: RocketQueen 5 years ago
replying to RocketQueen

Also you can use SoberTool mobile app for android and iOS to track days sober, get milestone rewards, calculate money saved, get recovery tips and more! just click on the symbol at the top of this page.

by: anonymous 5 years ago

Other people are scared to change, that’s why they want people to drink with, a bottle a night, no big deal to some, but stopping can save you from high blood pressure, face your emotions , you will feel so proud of yourself and your children will feel so much more secure knowing their mom is facing life on her own terms!

by: Forwardprogress 5 years ago