View All Subjects

Worst feeling ever...

created by: Demianjbt 4 years, 11 months ago

Woke up completely dehydrated, still half drunk and breathless from the cigarettes. It’s the worst feeling in the world yet I (and many others) do it over and over again.

I really want to stop, so I’m giving this app a shot and am going to try a meeting.

Wish me luck...and good luck to those that are trying as well

by: Demianjbt 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Demianjbt

We have been where you are. Good start to get to a meeting and using this app.

by: anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Demianjbt

I tried meetings. This app is dope a real desire to quit out of fear for my health and missing my life!

by: Pamaze 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Demianjbt

Well done to keep on trying in the first place and looking for help im on day 3 and it feels so much better even though yesterday was really tough but i kept really busy. All you can do is take every moment as it comes and enjoyfeeling fresh. Keep going all we can do is try.

by: STAR 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Demianjbt

I know that feeling! So far I'm ine month clean/sober. This app and forum are so helpful to me! I wish you luck! Check in with us! You're not alone!

by: escape_from_freedom 4 years, 10 months ago

Got to start somewhere I guess. Found a good app that shows all the AA meeting places and times. Just need to swallow my pride and go.

Got to start somewhere I guess. Found a good app that shows all the AA meeting places and times. Just need to swallow my pride and go.

I am only just beginning this long journey. I have been sober for 37 hours. I have drank 12 to 18 beers a day all day for 11 years. I want to be done with alcohol but even the last 12 hours have been hard. Sitting here now writing this I am ready for a cold beer. The craving is crazy. I have never tried or even gone more than one day without drinking.

replying to anonymous

I made it through day two yesterday but almost cracked. Then I thought about how much better my body felt even though I started to shake. You can do it!

by: Lucia2Mopar 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Lucia2Mopar

Thank you. I really hope so. You can make it as well!! The hard part is trying to not get frustrated with every little thing. Nobody except the people that have and are dealing with this problem understand how hard it is not just have one. I really wanted to yesterday after getting home. I associate drinking with everything I do. So it’s been very difficult to try and think of something to take it’s place when I feel these urges.

replying to anonymous

I understand that completely. Last night I was really snappy with my family and almost caved in. Instead I took half of one of my sleeping tablets just to cut the edge and it worked. I wish they could understand how difficult this is but no matter. I am doing this for them and myself.

by: Lucia2Mopar 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to anonymous

37 hours is a great start. I’m the same way end my day drinking beer and wasting my time. I choose beer while my son plays video games all evening. It’s sad because he’d turn it off in a heartbeat if asked him to play. I think guys like us need to redefine what it means to unwind and relax. Just focus on being the best person you can be and reach out to people. That’s my plan.

replying to Demianjbt

I am that same way my son just turned 3! And I will sit around and drink and watch him play on his toys and not be interested in anything aside from my next beer. I have come to the point where I don’t won’t him to see me like this. I grew up with it and it’s not something I want for him.

replying to anonymous

It’s a horrible feeling because we are so aware of it, yet it’s so difficult to change. When I drove my son to school we planned out our evening because my wife isn’t home (so I’d normally drink) figured if I planned it with him I’ll follow though. We truley need to retrain our brains to love something more than alcohol.

replying to Demianjbt

I would agree absolutely. It is going to be very challenging. But all we can do is take it day by day. And I definitely appreciate the support and someone to talk to that understands

replying to anonymous

I would suggest being around sober people or talking to a trusted friend on the phone. We all need help staying sober.

It’s all habitual. Growing up in a small town every day was the drinking Olympics. Now, 20 years later I’m still trying the break the associations. See a friend...drink beer. Long day...drink beer. Stressed...drink beer. It’s hot outside...drink beer. Lol. You get the idea.

replying to Demianjbt

exactly the same here. I grew up in a tiny tiny town and that's what we did! When I visit home, it's a party the whole visit. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO and that is heartbreaking honestly

by: justbowles 4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for sharing your experience. A few things that helped me when I started:

There is an app that has the aa chip. It helps keep you honest.

Identify your trigger events and try staying awake when they occur. Trust me, there are many and they are sneaky.

The urge to drink or drug is just a thought. Don’t fight it. What you resist persists. Just watch it. It will last roughly 7 seconds and then disappear in to nothingness

by: Gilligan 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Gilligan

Better than getting an app that gives you an AA chip is to go to an actual meeting and get an AA chip. Also, if you need milestone rewards from an app, download the SoberTool mobile app. There's one for iOS and one for android. You can get a coin for each day you are sober and when you click on the coin, you get a surprise. Really great app from the creator of this Forum! Just go to the top of this page and choose the icon for appstore or android.