View All Subjects

Struggling today

created by: Freddyg123 4 years, 11 months ago

These past few days have been rough. I’m almost 14 months clean from heroin. I still have pretty bad social anxiety, which I had before I ever got into drugs. It’s a lot worse now than it used to be. I just feel like an outcast at work. I don’t fit in at all. And these past few days I’ve been having bad cravings. It kind of feels like what’s the point of being sober if I can’t even interact with anyone normally? I’ve been working with a therapist and I meditate every day. My anxiety has gotten better than where it was this time last year but it seems stuck now. Like I’ve hit a plateau and it won’t get any better. I don’t want to throw away everything I’ve worked so hard for but I can’t stop thinking about picking up. Let me know if anyone can relate.

by: Freddyg123 4 years, 11 months ago

I can totally relate. The thing that worked for me was getting a Sponsor and working the 12 steps. Have you tried that?

by: anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago

Anybody can throw out advice here so be careful. Getting comfortable in your own skin is your first step. Do not worry about what others think. You will never be able to control that. Your happiness however is ALWAYS under your control

by: Gilligan 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Gilligan

I couldn't control my happiness until I found a therapy that works. That therapy includes the loving, accessible group support, sponsorship, and the cognitive behavioral restructuring and spiritual (not necessarily religious) principles of the 12 steps.

by: anonymous 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Gilligan

Thanks for the advice. That’s definitely true. My problem is that rationally I know it doesn’t matter what other people think but subconsciously I still crave validation from people. I guess just slowly changing my thought process will help. I just have to be patient and remember that it takes a while to change how you think.

by: Freddyg123 4 years, 11 months ago
replying to Freddyg123

Can definitely relate, last week I felt a lot of what you described. I felt like I was suddenly stuck and overwhelmed by reality. I’m 6 months sober today but I tried escaping for so long that still I often feel lost when trying to deal with these feelings. I feel better this week for several reasons, I think mainly time, but also I realized that in order for me to get better, I have to learn how to be ‘comfortable with being uncomfortable.’ I have to realize that even if I’m doing all the right things in recovery that I’m going to feel things- good and bad. Trying to understand why, especially within a support group of people who aren’t going to judge me and can guide me and be there for me, has been the core of my recovery right now. I’m definitely not an expert on sobriety yet but I hope this is helpful!

by: RoseA21 4 years, 11 months ago