View All Subjects

Day 2-need advice

created by: Mo 4 years, 9 months ago

Alcohol. 2nd day sober after years of 1 liter vodka a day. At work but feel like I didn’t sleep at all last night. When does the sleep get better? And how can it be improved?
No one to talk to. No one in my life knows I am alcoholic, or that I quit.

by: Mo 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Mo

You will sleep better and feel better when you lose the shame. Best place to start is by opening up with other recovering alcoholics. Best place to do that is at an AA meeting. What do you say? Also, with your level of drinking, it would be a good idea to see a professional therapist...you really should get detox help.

by: anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Mo

Anyone have luck with Camral

AA and professional help difficult. I am in the Middle East. If my habit was exposed I would immediately lose my job and go to jail. I have gathered what online advice I can about detox, doing what I can to limit the possibility of seizures etc. I think I just needed to know I could chat to someone about this, hence joining this forum.

I have been sober for 31 years. I recommend using the SoberTool app everyday. I also recommend getting the Big Book online if possible. Read through it. Get the 12 steps online and work the 12 steps. How does the first step apply to you? I think you can find online AA meetings at a website called "In the Rooms."

by: Clean 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Clean

Thanks. I downloaded the book. I will look at it, and the website, this evening.

replying to Mo

Great. You are not alone.

by: Grateful 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Grateful

Well, I have read through the first 70 pages. Some very useful insights, but I am going to have to radically alter my basic spiritual assumptions for much of this approach to be applicable. Much soul searching in the days ahead.

replying to Clean

hey ray how Scotland

Anyway. Halfway through day 3. Only the second time I have managed this in about 7 or 8 years. The last and only time I have quit, a few years ago, I managed a whole 4 months, but then convinced myself that one glass on my birthday would be ok. It was not ok.

replying to Mo

Same here. Thinking I’ll just have “one drink,” for my birthday, then it spirals out of control and months later, I’m still going ...and regretting it. I got back on the bandwagon this week, so now I’m heading into day 4.

by: Claudiarose60 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Mo

How are you Mo?

replying to Clean

Reluctant to admit that tomorrow will be day 1.
Again.

replying to Mo

W don't kill our wounded. Welcome back. You might want to read the first step and write back to us about how it applies to you.

replying to Mo

I understand how you feel. I have started over dozens, probably hundreds of times. I am on Day 2 this time. Tomorrow I would love to congratulate you for starting Day 1 and myself for starting Day 3. Praying for both of us.

replying to anonymous

I'm on day 3. I don't typically have issues until day 7. I'm a weekly binge drinker. I'm an alcoholic everyday. But crave actual alcohol weekly.

by: SiliconeSister 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to SiliconeSister

Once I get past the first few days I'm ok, but as you, day 7 can be challenging. Or day 30. I intend for this time to be different. But we can only take it one day at a time. Have a good day :-)

by: Toby 4 years, 9 months ago

a lot of us had to radically alter our philosophies. Bottom line is it works. Typical issues involve the word God and powerlessness. God does not have to be a religious God. God is just anything that helps. A power greater than yourself. That power can be principles like honesty Purity unselfishness and love. It can be committing to daily contact with another recovering person and a commitment to reach out to that person prior to picking up the first drink. Powerlessness simply means that we admit that we cannot control our alcoholism alone...that we need help to stop drinking. Are those issues that you need to resolve?

by: Grateful 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Grateful

Yes, the discussions on powerlessness have been very useful. I also like the idea of focusing on a positive principle rather than a deity; thanks for that.

But as I mentioned above, honesty is impossible in person, and connecting with others in recovery is only possible for me anonymously. These seem critical elements to this approach to recovery. That is, however, why I joined this forum. Are there other online meetings/forums you might recommend, so that I can establish regular discussions with a group?

replying to Mo

Check out "In the Rooms." I think they have online meetings.