View All Subjects

Today is 5 weeks clean after 30+ years of using

created by: MichaelB 4 years, 9 months ago

Life is so much better. Got lucky?, I guess because my DOC did not come with withdrawal symptoms. But the want and need was real. I guess the thing that really helped is that I spent all my money on the drug the week I quit; had like $20 to get me to the next payday so I had a 7 day jump on quitting. Once I got paid, I had a streak going that I didn't want to give up.
So here I am, 35 days clean. Still haven't gotten out of the dumps with my finances and cash on hand but I expect I will by the end of the month. Then I have to make good for all the bills that are in collection because of my drug use. One bill at a time.
But I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and it feels really good. If I can do it, so can you.

by: MichaelB 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to MichaelB

Hello Michael. I’m 36 days sober today, so I feel a kinship with you! Congratulations to us! I have quit several times before. Once for nearly a year! The difference this time is I’ve finally admitted to myself that I have no control over alcohol. It always controls me in the end. I have no desire to drink right now. Still, I am being extremely vigilant in combatting the Wine Witch. I know that simply ignoring her and hoping she’ll fly off on her broom and pick on someone else is not going to happen. Hope you like yourself better these days. I know I do. Best to you!

by: Mara 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Mara

I definitely do like myself better. I can now see a future where I'm not a slave to cocaine and where I can retire early and travel. Couldnt see that 2 months ago

replying to MichaelB

Awesome! Remember this is a chronic disease with lifetime risk of relapse. We need a daily recovery program forever. What is your plan for daily recovery?

by: Clean 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Clean

I journal and read the addictions boards every day. I dont even think about cocainec anymore whereas before it occupied my every waking thought. Feels good

replying to MichaelB

So great to hear things are looking brighter for you Michael! No more toxins or poisons for me! I know it’s not as simple as that but for me,
It helps to think about it as no big deal. Sometimes I think that by giving the alcohol so much importance, it had a stronger hold on me. I’m just learning and maybe I’m still in the honeymoon stage, but it’s really very liberating. I remember when I finally quit smoking years ago. It was like losing a ball and chain. That’s what I’m praying for! Keep me posted! Mara

by: Mara 4 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations Michael! What are you doing for treatment? Are you using the SoberTool mobile app as one of your tool?

I just quit cold Turkey and using a Facebook group and this app and doing daily journaling

replying to MichaelB

good on you
I got clean after 25 year
find a meeting and go as often as you can

by: Greenelf 4 years, 9 months ago
replying to Greenelf

Appreciate you Greenelf. You live a good program.