View All Subjects

Relationship damage

created by: Ray337 4 years, 6 months ago

I have been with my gf for 8 years. She watched me fall into alcoholism and tried to talk to me for years. The damage I've done to us has ruined our relationship. I have so much guilt for not listening, and I have no idea how to address the years I have put her through my chaos. I know I need to fix myself first. I fear that our relationship is a lost hope which is not helping my drepression and anxiety.

I need to become a whole person again before any relationship will begin.

by: Ray337 4 years, 6 months ago
replying to Ray337

The tallest mountain is climbed one small step at a time. What are you doing to stay sober?

by: Clean 4 years, 6 months ago
replying to Clean

I kept busy with chores and running errands. Spent a little time reading and looking for ideas to keep my focus on getting whole. My body is still detoxing, so I haven't been entirely hungry. Kept hydrated and tried not to be idle.

Nothing really different than usual. Just without having beers in between or chugging a bottle of wine through the night.

I think reading about alcoholism in depth has been both eye opening and disheartening.

by: Ray337 4 years, 6 months ago
replying to Ray337

good work

by: Liddie 4 years, 6 months ago

Just think about this. The same God that's gonna keep you sober is big enough and great enough to mend your " lost cause" relationship. Just focus on yourself right now and keep doing the next right thing and if y'all belong together, rest assure God will make it happen! God bless you and congratulations on making the first step towards recovery!

by: drberg2018 4 years, 6 months ago

We don’t have to do this alone....

by: kellerjs 4 years, 6 months ago

I suggest you go to AA and get a sponsor! Get a home group and a job in your home group. Also ask your wife or girlfriend to come with you for support. The only way your going to repair your relationship is with actions! She’s sick of hearing sorry with no action. Actions speak louder than words!

by: anonymous 4 years, 6 months ago