View All Subjects

Day 2 Did anyone else think, “ It won’t happen to me?”

created by: Staylor 4 years, 2 months ago

This is the hardest thing I’ve ever dealt with. Cockiness got me HERE! Just wondering if anyone else ever thought, “It won’t happen to me!” Or “I’m just dabbling it won’t hurt anything”. I’m so mad at myself! I don’t know if I’m strong enough to do this. I’m so sick.

by: Staylor 4 years, 2 months ago
replying to Staylor

Lots of us have issues with cockiness. You sound like you would be perfect for the humility taught in the Big Book. You are in the right place.

by: anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago
replying to anonymous

Thank you for giving feedback. Could you explain a little more about the big book, I’ve never heard of it?

by: Staylor 4 years, 2 months ago
replying to Staylor

The Big Book is the affectionately referred to common name for the basic text of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA). It teaches us how to stay sober, which in large part is a function of replacing an imbalanced ego with humility. AA saved my life and has kept me sober for close to 32 years. You should definitely check out some AA meetings to see if the Big Book and the fellowship can help you.

by: Grateful 4 years, 2 months ago
replying to Staylor

Cockiness has been my middle name at times. Certainly in relation to drinking. And it was responsible for my relapse after over 7 months sober. "This was easy. No cravings, no near misses. I've got this. I can drink in moderation now." That's a giant nope. We never return to earlier, more mild use. No matter what our substance of choice. That is a tough lesson to learn without experiencing it but it's universally true.

AA has a lot to offer. The Big Book was written back in the 30s but the lessons are on point. I'm going through it now and spotted what is essentially mindfulness, a long time before mindfulness was a thing here in the US. And there is no substitute for the meetings. Some of the routine can seem odd or be a bit off-putting at first for some but it's worth it. You can finally talk with people with full honesty about your addiction, free from any judgement. And hear from others. That just doesn't happen in the regular world. It's extremely helpful. And no description of the goodwill of other AA members does them justice. You have to experience it to fully appreciate it. I recommend giving it a try. But in any case, I wish you the best in staying sober. Stay humble, honest, and open. Relapse often starts when we stay in our head.

by: NoStinkinThinkin 4 years, 2 months ago
replying to NoStinkinThinkin

Well put! Lots of good suggestion, not rules or orders.

by: Clean 4 years, 2 months ago