View All Subjects

2.5 years sober thought i was ok...

created by: Rarasmith1 3 years, 4 months ago

so after 2.5 years sober and out of a 20 year abusive relationship I meet an old friend and we start seeing one another. fast forward 4 weeks and i start drinking again cos I'm happy! any advice gratefully received

by: Rarasmith1 3 years, 4 months ago
replying to Rarasmith1

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. This disease cannot be cured. You didn't start drinking again because you are happy. You started again because your disease told you that you are safe to drink because you traded one relationship for another. Sooner or later, it will bring you to your knees like it did before. No ifs, ands, or buts. Alcoholism is cunning, patient, and baffling. You wouldn't be posting on this forum unless you knew you were captured again by it. Recommit to sobriety now. Recommendation: go to 90 meetings in 90 days. If the person you are now seeing can't accept this, that person doesn't really care about you.

by: Clean 3 years, 4 months ago
replying to Clean

thank you! he knows I'm an alcoholic but it has been my decision to drink because as you say I felt safe. at least I know now that I will never be safe from it! meetings and this app are the way to go forward

by: Rarasmith1 3 years, 4 months ago