View All Subjects

NA or no?

created by: PuzzleMom 2 years, 9 months ago

I’m three months clean and sober and my therapist recommended NA or a group therapy similar at one of my first visits with her. I wasn’t ready at that time, but feel I am ready now. Do you attend NA/AA? If you do, what are the first few steps? How is does it help your continued recovery in staying sober? If you had a negative experience with NA/AA, why was that? Thanks in advance!

by: PuzzleMom 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to PuzzleMom

NA/AA definitely helps. You have nothing to fear. I attend both and have been clean and sober for over 33 years. Practicing the 12 steps have improved every aspect of my life. My relationship with my Sponsor lasted for 28 years until he passed away and I can't describe in words how special that was. There is no way I could have stayed sober this long without it. There are many different kinds of meetings: discussion, lead, womens, mens, etc. There is a wide diversity of people. Please try at least 6 different meetings.

by: Clean 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to PuzzleMom

I'd suggest getting a sponsor knowledgeable about NA/AA to show you the way. My primary drug of choice is alcohol, but I've had plenty of "side dishes" in the past. I feel comfortable at both meetings. I think people who were drug (not alcohol) users can still go to AA meetings. They are interchangeable in my opinion.

by: Shawn2020 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to PuzzleMom

I’m doing A.A. Amazing people and really helpful. You can check out aa-intergroup.org for online meetings. The go to meetings really help me.

by: Nicole22 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to PuzzleMom

I’m kinda in the same boat, where I’m at there’s not alot of choices for meetings, there’s literally no spirit here, sad! I myself feel like I would be out of place at an AA meeting, the Devil of a drug meth got me but but I’m 34 days clean today 😎😇 and I did it all with my own will power after a good 8-10 years of falling to meth and cocaine 😞 I feel great but I really want to go to in person meeting get the real feel of it all with that said in 4 days I’m going to Arizona to visit my fiancé and I’m going to hit a meeting or Two with her !!! There’s different types from what I hear I’m new to it all too but super excited!! Good luck

by: Jabeyta86 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to Jabeyta86

God for you Jabeyta86! Pulling for you.

by: Clean 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to Jabeyta86

Hey Jabeyta86! I too was addicted to Meth and heroin the last 7 years of my addiction. I have been to both NA and AA meetings and also a couple celebrate recovery meetings. I felt comfortable at the AA and NA meetings. I choose to attend AA meetings even tho my problem was with mainly drugs but sometimes alcohol seeing that I have a DUI but my point is u can go to AA meetings and fit in. Try every kind of meeting u can until u find where u feel comfortable! U can do this just keep on keepin on! Much love!

by: hhawkins4229 2 years, 9 months ago
replying to hhawkins4229

Hi hhawkins4229!! I too have a dui(alcohol)back in 2014. Mainly my issue is with the drugs. Ive been doing them pretty heavily, since I was 15. I’ll be 35 next month and I’ve decided I’m ready to be DONE!! I need to grow up I’ve got 5 boys who need me in their life and if I continue using that can’t happen. I really want to give all types of meetings a try, but due to where I live there there no support here for any of that , it’s a shame…I’m new to this recovery thing and I’m pretty much relying on this app and a few others daily to help me. Thank you for the suggestions and thanks for the supports and encouragement..

by: Jabeyta86 2 years, 9 months ago

N/A can definitely be a building stone to help you! the halls are a safe place and makes you realize you really aren't alone. it's up to you. maybe go with someone if you need support!

by: Mzumbrink 2 years, 9 months ago

2 years clean from alcohol, meth, opiates and marijuana. Meetings and working the steps has helped me to achieve this and become a much more respectable version of myself. 😊 Plus you'll get to make lots of friends that understand you. Idk for me it was like coming home to a place I didn't know existed.

by: Inubyte 2 years, 9 months ago

Zoom meeting for NA EXCELLENT place to start a lot of people in all stages of recovery:
494 965 5895 is the meeting I'd.
1953 is the password

a lot of good people there from around the world willing to help including sponsors.
give it a try.
They run the meetings 24/7.
willie

by: Willie 2 years, 9 months ago