View All Subjects

Lessons in sobriety from my dog.

created by: Shawn2020 2 years, 4 months ago

I was watching my dog pick up a ball and try to chew it while on the couch, only to see it roll off the couch every time. But she kept going and getting it, bringing it back on the couch, only for it to roll away again.

I love my dog, but this is pretty dumb behavior. But it is probably what others saw when I’d drink and try to get a result other than disaster. Same thing happened every time. I needed to be reminded of that.

by: Shawn2020 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Shawn2020

Good analogy. Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. True for my drinking days too. Keeping it simple and not picking up the first drink today. Thank you for your post my brother.

by: Grateful 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Grateful

I like how that works for positive things too. Every time I go for a run i feel better after but i kind of ignore that when I debate if i should go for a run. Doing the same thing repeatedly and every time I am surprised how good i feel after.

by: Kermit 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Shawn2020

I can definitely understand that behavior of doing the same thing expecting different results. However, I can see a positive in it: Resiliency. I can always get back up again. If something happens, or I make a mistake, I can get back up from that and don't need to let that lead me to drinking or using.

by: Se19xx 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Shawn2020

My dog is alot smarter than I am. He hides when there is lightening, always. He doesn't take the risks I would take when I was drinking like driving drunk, living unconsciously. He is also kind to everyone...no resentment, ...many sobriety lessons from my dog....he knows what's important: relationships, walking in the door alive and together, unconditional love, loyalty, on and on. He naturally defaults to sobriety attributes like gratitude, perspective, and flexibility. He has an unquenchable enthusiasm about life.

replying to Grateful

I'm an animal lover. I work in the Vetmed industry and have several rescues. What you just wrote has put my path to sobriety in such an easier light to understand. Though I'm a spiritual person, some aspects of "Godliness" seem so overwhelming and unattainable. I'm just going to work to be more like my dogs!!! Thank you!

by: Shankerbell 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Shankerbell

Shankerbell, being more like my dog is great advice for me. Thanks for your post and keep letting us know how you are doing!

Grateful...I love what you sat about your dog. Animals show us the right way so very often.

by: Indiecat 2 years, 4 months ago

Dog, God spelled backwards! There are no coincidences!

by: ChipsBDown 2 years, 4 months ago