View All Subjects

Day one in the books! Feeling fortunate

created by: Shazza 1 week, 2 days ago

Any words of wisdom for first days alcohol free would help! thanks

by: Shazza 1 week, 2 days ago
replying to Shazza

I would suggest going to as many meetings as possible, and staying around positive people and places. I have been watching and listening to alot of motivational talks and podcasts, as I have only been sober for 21 days since my last lapse...it has helped me immensely. Meditation helps alot as well, for me anyway. I wish you the best and stay strong!

by: TheOptimusRuss 1 week, 2 days ago
replying to Shazza

Read a daily message from SoberTool, follow its suggestions and post on the SoberTool forum EVERY MORNING.

by: Grateful 1 week, 1 day ago

Hey, I’m quite new here too! I’m on day 6 and have been give some excellent advice and support so far. I am not putting any pressure on myself and simply thinking “one day at a time’ I distract myself with work and long dog walks etc! However the best advice I have been given was to the read Annie grace book ‘This Naked Mind’ I’m only early into the book but already it’s educating me regarding my alcohol use. Good luck

by: Manx88 1 week, 1 day ago
replying to Manx88

that's a great start. i listened to the already mentioned book 'this naked mind' and i got to understand better why I drink and why i probably would be better off without alcohol. 172 days sober i am not looking back. i mean there are thoughts but now I got some mental tools to fight them off. distraction is helpful. my goto is going for a walk or run. stinking thought coming in? i am going for a run and try hard to think about something else. I like worrying about everything but it hasn't gotten my anywhere positive yet while going for a run, helps every time. also a few calories burnt off make the next meal taste better too. take care.

by: Kermit 1 week, 1 day ago
replying to Kermit

Thank you, Kermit. These last years with increased drinking has brought about 50 extra pounds with it. Besides everything else..I think working out, walking, dancing, singing.. Will all help to distract my mind until the habit of drinking subsides.

by: Shazza 1 week, 1 day ago
replying to Shazza

no need to plan too far ahead :) just today matters and if you don't drink that is the goal. all the best

by: Kermit 1 week, 1 day ago
replying to Kermit

I am very much into fitness and there is no better medicine for your health that’s also including mental health! Keep up the excellent work you are doing amazing! I will hopefully be able to say the same as you in 166 days 💪

replying to Manx88

Thank you so much. I used to read a lot. But I've gotten away from it over the years. Maybe this is a good way to start a new library!

by: Shazza 1 week, 1 day ago
replying to Shazza

Yes it’s an excellent way to pick that habit back up again and to also learn regarding alcohol intake and behaviours which is an added bonus 😄!

stay strong!keep family and friends close!start a new hobbie to keep your mind active.i found starting a course online helped.

by: Bubbles 1 week, 1 day ago