View All Subjects

weekend from hell

created by: shepheress89 2 years, 3 months ago

Feeling really proud of myself today.
We were hit with storm Arwen here in Scotland and our farm has been destroyed with fallen frees taking down fences, our sheep escaping and to top it off our best working sheepdog broke her leg on Saturday afternoon while we were trying to dig sheep out of snow.
we have been without electric since 2pm on Friday and still nothing.
I have a cabin full of leftover alcohol from my wedding last month and I have been tempted...beyond belief to grab some and destress.
I have avoided temptation even when my neighbours wife (husband a vet) offered me a glass of wine while her husband casted up my dog in the dark on sat.
all these situations would have been a perfect excuse for me to have a drink and feel better for an hour but I've not given in.
feeling great even though lifes upside down just now.

by: shepheress89 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to shepheress89

thanks for sharing. sorry to hear about the stress but glad to read that you managed to stay away from the drinks. also congrats on getting married. i often ask when I am tempted due to stress how me drinking could help us out of the situation and the answer is always that it would make things worse for everyone, like it always did. it's just a conclusion i found after too many years of experimenting: me drinking does not help anyone. all the best and take care.

by: Kermit 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to shepheress89

👍🙏🙌❤ Praying for you. Good for you for staying sober. Not drinking will make this crisis improve. If you drink, you will make the storm a disaster. Let us know.

by: Grateful 2 years, 3 months ago

Great job! I’d get rid of the left-over booze. No reason to further tempt yourself.

by: Shawn2020 2 years, 3 months ago

Amazing. Honestly...I don't know where you are on your sober journey.. but you're right! This kind of event is EXACTLY the kind of thing that throws people off track.
Know that there are only two ways to look at it. This is a catastrophe and you should just go back to numbing every feeling you have, including your sadness over this terrible event? Or as a serious win! Man... if you can get thru this.. you can get through anything without drinking!

Let's be honest! It's the Scot in us. I live in Canada, but I'm Scottish by birth. My husband is from the Orkney Islands. We're tough as nails. Don't forget it.
Chin up!

by: Shazza 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you all for the messages.
I completed week 2 yesterday, so just at the beginning of my journey and shocked how ive managed to handle myself, when usually I'd grab a glass at the first sign of stress.
I cant believe the devastation round us, but like you all say keeping sober helps get us through it.
keeping strong 💪

by: shepheress89 2 years, 3 months ago

Arwen was awful. I'm all the way down in Oxford and it made a mess here. I can only imagine the destruction in Scotland.

I hope everything is getting sorted and that your poor sheep and poorer dog are ok and on the mend. x

I'm impressed you have done so well, esp with a cabin full of alcohol. I agree with whoever said (sorry don't remember who posted it) to ditch it all or give it away...too much temptation BUT
you should be extremely impressed and proud of yourself for doing so well with so much crap heaped upon you in less that 24 hrs.

Which I loved closer so I could help out!

by: Indiecat 2 years, 3 months ago

well done for staying sober,you are so strong expecially with the damage that has happened to your farm.really hope you can mend your farm and your sheep are ok,hopefully the weather will get a bit better soon.again well done,it shows you can do it,keep going and if you ever feel like having a drink just remember what you have been through!

by: anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago