View All Subjects

True Joy

created by: Grateful 2 years, 4 months ago

Its not that things are not going my way, it's just that I am asking for too much. My expectations are too high. I am asking for the impossible. I am failing to have perspective. I walk on the beach in Florida and say it's too cold because it is 70°. I want my 68 year old wife to romance me like she did when she was 20. All of this is tied into me wanting more than life can give and my loss of perspective. Obviously, I should be grateful to have a wife at my age and a beach to walk on.

To do: today I am going to have perspective and keep my expectations reasonable. This gives me true Joy and helps keep me sober.

by: Grateful 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Grateful

thanks for sharing. we all have a lot to be grateful for. thanks for the reminder. 🏖️

by: Kermit 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Grateful

I can so relate to this grateful. My husband and I are both 62 years old, and sometimes I do the same: why isn’t he so energetic, why isn’t the car fixed yet or the sidewalk cleaned off or the barn finished? Yes, we are both more tired andWe’re both still here and that’s what I need to focus on. We are both still here that is a gift.

by: Frank 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Frank

Thanks for your reply Frank. my wife and I are 62 also. Glad we're not alone out there. 🌝

by: Grateful 2 years, 4 months ago
replying to Grateful

Thank you so much Grateful and Frank. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning. I am a perfectionist ( we all know how well that is working out for me!)
Having reasonable expectations and perspective is necessary for my sobriety as well as my happiness!
I have been waking up and starting my mornings with all I am thankful/ grateful for! Wow!!! When I do this, it starts my day on the right path but also makes me feel so blessed and rich! ( not monetary rich, even better! I have a loving supporting husband of 25 years, 2 beautiful children that I am extremely close with, a house, a job, and the list goes on!)
Things always need to be done, that list is a turning wheel. For the first time I am trying to take it easy!
Enjoy every moment and not rush through life worrying about stupid things! What a kinder softer way!!!

by: Carebear18 2 years, 4 months ago