View All Subjects

Day 3 sober - Chef and restaurant owner

created by: Nancywl 2 years, 3 months ago

New here! Day 3, feeling extremely tired but fine. The sweating during the past 2 nights was crazy! For the really first time of my life, I realized that I’m so tired and disgusted of drinking! For the past 3 years, it affected my life, my productivity and my time with my family big time! Tired of waking up on a hangover and feeling sick. My only fear is to have to deal with people who drink every day at my restaurant…and my husband not wanting to quit with me..I’m the chef de cuisine and I used to drink when I work to deal with the stress..and also, after work…to relax after a 12hrs shift! I need to do this or I will lose everything. Being a mother of 2 and realized that my kids are way conscious of me drinking almost every day…that need to stop. If someone in here related to my situation or is in the restaurant or bar business, tell me how you do it please!

by: Nancywl 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Nancywl

You probably should find a new way to use your chef skills that are not around alcohol. At least, you need tons of support and the easiest way is AA.

by: Grateful 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Grateful

Unfortunately, I own a restaurant, a farm and a venue. I live right here onsite. I’m the only owner and this is my business and my retirement plan. My daughter wants to take over in a couple of years….so I really have to deal with this for now…

by: Nancywl 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Nancywl

Wow Nancy, you own a farm and restaurant? Your daughter is probably one who will takeover, but what impression are you going to hand down to her, I don't know if she's married but it sounds like you've had enough and just want to call it a day. Well Nacny firstly it's never too late. I know of some people who have blown my mind when I saw them recently, from junkies to healthy beautiful people and richer. Do you have animals as well? Anyway Nancy if you're the only owner of that farm, you should be very careful not to loose any of it, I mean who else? You're the boss! Hard it may be, but think of what your daughter is going through. Many people dream of owning a farm and retirement there. Keep coming back here

by: Kirk 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Nancywl

Nancy, your name reminded me of a USA president Ronald Reagan, who had a drinking habit, she went to rehab and I think she's written a book. Anyway you ask how we do it, from what I read about your restaurant, you don't have to be one of them who drinks to overcome the stress, you're actually making it worse for yourself, it's hard, I know, very hard for that first evening or (while at work) it's that small hard almost impossible step you take today that will help you tomorrow. Only you can do it. No one out there but people here will support you. Keep trying you will feel free and happy the next morning. Best of luck. There's no magic pill but your own mind power. Come on we're waiting for you Nancy

by: Kirk 2 years, 3 months ago

Many many years ago when I was a bartender I got a DUI and quit drinking for a month. I was a bartender at a restaurant. being surrounded by the food, the regular customers and the alcohol, can feel like you are at a party every night you are at work. I was drinking a half bottle of booze while behind the bar every night. Then id go home and keep drinking. My situation was rough because I became friends with my regular customers. We would hang out at other bars when I wasn't working. So when. I was working it was like the party would never end. When I left that industry after 10 years I continued to drink heavily. If you are going to stay working there, you need to make it clear to everyone that you are not drinking. Technically you wouldn't be lying if you said your doctor told you because of medical reasons you can't drink any more. Alcohol withdrawal is dangerous. I've had countless withdrawals over the years and they kept getting scarier and scarier. I felt like I was In hell. I'd spend two days in bed uncontrollably shaking, hallucinating, sweating.

There is an audio book called Alcohol Lied To Me. I think it would help you out a lot.

by: Strength_through_healing 2 years, 3 months ago

You should be proud of yourself for taking the first step. Each hour that passes you're that much further removed from alcohol and the devastating consequences it leaves behind. Soon it will be a distant memory because you'll be filling your time with healthier choices and making new, sober memories with your family. Keep up the hard work. It's so much better on this side. I'm 46 days clean and don't think about it and if I do it's a fleeting thought that I don't engage with anymore.

by: krw579 2 years, 3 months ago