View All Subjects

0.5 alcohol beer

created by: AndrewL 2 years, 2 months ago

opinions? good or bad? I'm 155 fays sober and just drank my 3rd near beer in as many days. I felt that secret desire of expectation for that beer through the day while at work and when I got home and finally opened it and took that first drink I had the old familiar release of pressure and stress that reminded me why I'm an alcoholic in the first place. my resolve to not drink alcohol has not wavered, but this almost feels like cheating. and does it lead me down a path that ends up drinking real alcohol again?

by: AndrewL 2 years, 2 months ago
replying to AndrewL

So for me I realized that I shouldn’t drink them regularly cause that prompts the obsession. But I can have them in a social setting because it helps me *not* crave. It’s weird, but that’s what’s working for me. I would say the desire and expectation part is definitely a warning sign though.

Good on you for being aware of your internal world!!!!

by: Leah1992 2 years, 2 months ago

Resolve =decide firmly on a course of action.
Think very carefully what decisions and where your actions will most definitely take you .
The results of your experiment will be up to you to evaluate whether it's good or bad idea.

by: AussieDrunk 2 years, 2 months ago

I totally see where you're coming from. I tried that little experiment with "alcohol removed" champagne by brand FRE. Think it's similar alcohol content (.5%?). I did it to see if it's really the head change that I'm looking for or if I just love champagne. Well it's the head change of course. So I decided for me, it's not worth even the Non-Alcoholic drinks, what's the point? You gotta find your own path. Sometimes experimenting is a good thing as long as you're in control. I'm too much of an addict to tease it out.

by: krw579 2 years, 2 months ago

I drink budwieser 0.0% and I love it! I really like the taste of beer and it doesn't make me want alcohol any more. I say if it's not effecting your sobriety...do what you like. if it is triggering you....maybe it's not a good idea. water is probably a better option in that case.

by: Shayne 2 years, 2 months ago

I've only had one experience with barely beer styles but it is not a good one. Family member years ago started drinking them after over 10 years sober. Less than 6 months later they were drinking again and it kicked off a really bad stretch of years for this person.

It's a one off take, I know, but I think it's a good idea to be cautious. You already identified that sensation of needing it for a release. That sounds like a warning bell to me.

by: NoStinkinThinkin 2 years, 2 months ago
replying to NoStinkinThinkin

I agree with the above post. That's definitely a warning sign if I've ever heard one. Alcoholism is no joke, and for me it's literally a life or death situation. My disease is serious. It doesn't matter if it's 0.5 or 0.90, I'm not taking any risk of getting any kind of head change. Check your motives. And, good for you on being honest and sharing. That's how we learn!

by: Inubyte 2 years, 2 months ago

I had a relapse start this way, I was able to have non alcoholic beer without guilt or temptation.... for a few weekends. Then I decided I could handle a light beer here or there. Then like clockwork I was back to drinking heavy ipas daily and lost 2 weeks to my addiction.

My suggestion is to stay away, have a sprite, ginger ale or something else carbonated.

by: richard78 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm finding I can enjoy na beer and not be triggered. I have a great support system in place and am doing very well at the moment. so currently a success story.

by: AndrewL 2 years, 2 months ago
replying to AndrewL

Good for you, we are all different, I have a 0% beer on occasion, mainly if I’m out watching football with my friends, as they all are still unaware I’ve stopped, it’s a perfect disguise whilst staying sober! It is good to check ourselves though, we don’t want to go backwards after all! Keep going you’ve got this 👏

by: Manx88 2 years, 2 months ago