View All Subjects

The Biggest Mistake?

created by: Grateful 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the biggest mistake that people make in recovery is failing to call someone who they can chat with on an ongoing basis when they are having a craving to relapse. This is why you need a list. this has been one of the tools I have really leaned on in my 33 years of continuous sobriety. participating in a forum is helpful make no mistake about it. It's nice that you can get replies in this form. However, there's no substitute for interactive conversation immediately when you need it. I strongly recommend getting a list of people you can call at any stage of recovery. Thoughts?

by: Grateful 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Grateful

I'm with you grateful ,my phone contacts is full of numbers of members . If someone doesn't answer straight away I can call someone else it helps relieve me of the bondage of self. I have support from old timers like yourself that help guide me through life.

by: AussieDrunk 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to AussieDrunk

Yes I agree, I have a really hard time calling people when I want to drink. I wish I did not. I wish I could just do it automatically, I guess the thing is maybe changing your friend Set, also telling all your new friends about your troubles. I guess that’s the hardest part. Thank you for the encouragement.

by: Frank 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to AussieDrunk

Thanks AussieDrunk! I need to keep away from the selfishness too. Me, me, me like an opera singer...my troubles always seem to center around my rights, my will. Always appreciate your comments.

by: Grateful 2 years, 3 months ago
replying to Grateful

You are definitely are not alone Grateful, reading pages 60 -62 from the Big book are a great way for me to assess what role I'm playing in my life . I read it very regularly 😁

by: AussieDrunk 2 years, 3 months ago