View All Subjects

6 days sober, first time trying in 26 years

created by: Greabes 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I have never tried to quit before because I thought I'm ok since I do good at work but it's caused 2 divorces and feels like most my life I've been drunk or hungover. I want to enjoy life without alcohol and get back into life and my wife deserves that also from me

by: Greabes 2 weeks, 2 days ago

if I'm not drinking then I'm taking zanax and never feeling much of life. these last 6 days I can't sleep at all. Hopefully that gets better soon

Congratulations, you're doing great. Expect changes. This is a big change in your mind as well as your body. You can do this. Keep in touch.

by: kkdad 2 weeks, 2 days ago

I hope I can sleep good soon. my mind just races all night and has made it rough. I tried otc sleep aid and didn't help at all and I don't want to keep doing that and become dependent on something else. makes me want to drink just to sleep good for 1 night

Wow six days, you are killing it !! I could never sleep when I first sobered up either (the many times) I found melatonin helped. It gets better! I had a breakthrough in finding real help when I switched from zoom meetings to in person meetings too. There is so much hope in the rooms of AA. Six days is a huge deal, keep it simple and take things one day at a time :)

by: MsKris221 2 weeks, 2 days ago
replying to MsKris221

I tried the melatonin last night and slept much better. thanks! day 7 is better!

by: Greabes 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I'm so emotional right now. I've never been here before and talked about it like this

replying to Greabes

Our emotions won't kill us but the drink will . Actually feeling feelings is part of the process don't suffer alone look for local AA meetings near you.

by: AussieDrunk 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Hey Greabes! Hope you’re still doing great! Still rooting for you!

by: MsKris221 1 week, 6 days ago
replying to MsKris221

yes I'm good so far. thanks for asking. sleep is getting better. I'm worried that when I start feeling good that I'll want to drink and forget how it has controlled me. but one day at a time is what they say

by: Greabes 1 week, 6 days ago
replying to Greabes

Good for you! They say the most dangerous times are the good times not the bad times. It's almost easier staying sober when we are hurting from our drinking/drugging than when we are doing well. The key is to keep doing daily recovery stuff. For me it's SoberTool, prayer, forum, (2) 12 step meetings per week, and 12 step practice. I also sponsor and get sponsored. I also am a professional case manager and interventionist. So I am always reminded of the horrors that I can return to if I pick up a drink/drug. Do you have a Sponsor?

by: Grateful 1 week, 5 days ago
replying to Grateful

I do not have a sponsor. I'm very much an introvert and don't have many friends where I live.

by: Greabes 1 week, 3 days ago

Until you find a sponsor, do you have anyone who can be an accountability partner? To call you if you miss a meeting or to just bounce your thoughts and feelings off of? Best if same sex as you. Listen to people's testimonies and one who's completed a step program and that will help steer you toward a sponsor. I'm an introvert too - when I'm not high. So I understand.

by: krw579 1 week, 3 days ago

I've never been very religious so seems some 12 steps wouldn't apply for myself. I'm open to a sponsor to talk to but I don't really know anyone for that. at the moment I'm just reading what I can about self help and sticking with my sobriety. I appreciate any advice

by: Greabes 1 week, 3 days ago
replying to Greabes

I can relate to the not being religious and I've just started AA and there's a lot of it. I'll keep going and try to just listen to the other's experiences and learn from it. Who knows maybe one day I'll find a way to a higher spirit. It seems to help, although it would be interesting to know if they were religious to begin with.

by: anonymous 1 week, 2 days ago
replying to anonymous

There seems to be alot of confusion about AA . AA meetings are where one finds fellowship, sharing our experience strength and hope with each other . Meetings are a brilliant way to find a sponsor who has a solution.
The program of AA is based from the book Alcoholics Anonymous ,the program hasn't changed since first written it shows precisely how to recover.
When people talk of God a higher power or spirit of the universe ,it's more than likely a God of their own understanding they are not trying to push this belief onto you just openly sharing how a new power has entered their life and hearts .
Purchase a big book get guided through the steps by a sponsor then see if you can contain sharing this new found inner life it's highly unlikely you will be able to keep it to yourself ,as you will hear if you stick around you have to give it away to keep it .
If they are forcing their concepts onto you ,go to different meetings

by: AussieDrunk 1 week, 2 days ago