View All Subjects

I feel so lonely

created by: Eva 1 year, 10 months ago

I feel so lonely today. yesterday I met someone that jused to be a close friend, but two years ago she broke all contact, I´ve never known why. Yesterday we were both helping a mutual friend to move. I said hi, she didn´t respond, she even never looked at me.
I didn´t expect her to be there, I really didn´t know.
Now I feel so lonely and I have noone to talk to about it.

by: Eva 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Eva

Good for you for sharing your feelings rather than drinking over them. We learn in recovery that we cannot control other people. What and why your so called friend is doing or thinking is not about you; it's her problem. Let go, stay sober, and go to AA meetings where you will find true friends.

by: Grateful 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Grateful

Thank you, it really helped to write it here.
I need to go to a meeting, hopefully I can meet some People there. Tomorrow there is one in my neighbourhoud. I will try to go there.

replying to Eva

I think It would help both of you if you confront her in a healthy way . maybe there is some misunderstanding. clear it .

by: AvitoPereira 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Eva

Eva, one thing I've learned is you don't need somebody to be somebody. Self-love is critical in our lives. As an asset to others, you should never feel lonely.

by: anonymous 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone is always here to share with. I'm sure there's a meeting online or in person available to you. I understand this is a lonely process but it really doesn't have to be. Whatever your so called friend's problem was, it's just that, their problem. Leave it in the past. Many of my friends during my drinking days are no longer in touch. I touched base with each and every one of them once. If no interest I moved on. I've made many more friends since then. Eva, you can do this. Lots of different emotions will present themselves throughout your journey. It's how we react to them that matters. Best of luck for your success.

by: kkdad 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to kkdad

Thank you!
I am verry happy I could post it here. I want to go to a meeting here in the neighbourhoud, but I´m always too afraid so at the last moment I decide not to go. I should really try.

replying to Eva

don't be afraid to go to a meeting. You don't have to do anything there. You can just go in and sit down and relax. No one is going to judge you.

I can imagine the hurt of her not even responding to your greeting. I imagine I would feel loneliness after being treated that way too. It seems childish that she didn't reply but you have to let it go. Your plate is full, don't take on HER problem.

by: Tiredand60! 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Tiredand60!

Thank you! It hurts, but anyway, I heard her talking to someone else, she is still drinking a lot and I´m trying to stay sober. 🙂

Sometimes we don't know why people shut us off there's a saying that applies
Rejection is Gods protection .
A blessing in disguise 🥸
You never have to feel alone again, come to a meeting.

by: AussieDrunk 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to AussieDrunk

love that saying you shared Aussie !
putting that one in my pocket😎

by: Pambfree 1 year, 10 months ago

Thank you everybody! You really helped me through the evening!
I will let you know about the meeting.

Eva, I feel lonely too. As soon as I read your post I felt less alone, so thank you. How are you? ❤️

by: SurferRosa 1 year, 10 months ago

Hi SurferRosa, thank you for your message. I had a terrible weekend. But today I start again. I made it until 27 days sober.

replying to Eva

Hi Eva, those 27 days are not waisted, they are valuable and I admire your determination to move on. You can do this Eva, we can beat this. I relapsed, and then started over again too, 7 days ago now, so here we are both on track again. Your posts are so pure and honest, they truly reach me. Thank you Eva. You are not alone! I am here too and I should check in more often I'm sorry. I send you rays of sunshine and strength. Keep it going, one day at a time sometimes one hour at a time I have. 🌻🌻🌻

by: SurferRosa 1 year, 10 months ago

Loneliness remains the largest obstacle in, and greatest threat to, my sobriety and I recently reached 2 years and 6 months sober. I feel you. Things haven't been the same with my friends from before I got sober. I'm also significantly introverted so making new friends is not something I do easily.

I have recently started counseling and specifically told the lady I would like to make working on this area of my life a priority. We'll see how it goes.

I'm sorry to hear about your weekend but I'm glad you're back. Do you have any thoughts on anything you'd like to approach differently this time around?

by: NoStinkinThinkin 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to NoStinkinThinkin

Good for you for working on your loneliness issue with a counselor. I love the way I am treated at AA meetings. No judgment at AA because we all are in the same boat. I used to stay away from people, and was thus lonely, because I didn't want to be judged.

replying to NoStinkinThinkin

hi, I´m also really introvert and don´t make friends easily. I want to go to an AA group here around. But I plan it every time and than I don´t dare to go.
Congratulations on your 2 and a half year.

replying to Eva

Thank you! I was nervous (really nervous) going to my first (and second....and third) AA meeting. It's been said plenty here and I'm sure you've heard it before, but it really is a welcoming environment. It's a collection of people who have made a plethora of mistakes and bad decisions, are aware of that, and are trying to improve. There are always exceptions but it's extremely common for people trying it out to be surprised at how welcoming the people are. The phrase has taken a (sometimes earned) beating recently but AA is one of the OG safe spaces. I remember in my third meeting, I ran into a patient of mine (I'm a healthcare professional), which was a primary fear of mine. She gave me a huge hug, we chatted a little, and she found me at the end of the meeting with a list of numbers of men willing to be sponsors. She Chuck Norris'd that particular fear right out of me.

I highly recommend trying it out. Connection is antidote to addiction and there just isn't a good substitute for people with similar experiences. And there is something special about shared, collective action.

by: NoStinkinThinkin 1 year, 10 months ago