View All Subjects

I am clean but I stopped meditation two months ago, before my first relapse after 8 months

created by: SurferRosa 1 year, 10 months ago

Anyone can relate to meditation and recovery and / or to not practise meditation anymore and picking up first drink or drug?

by: SurferRosa 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to SurferRosa

I honestly CANNOT thank you enough for this post. Meditation has become such a vital and CRUCIAL part of my sobriety. I do it every single day - sometimes for hours at a time. Meditation I think also differs in scope and variety for everyone. For instance I don’t sit cross legged with my eyes closed and clear my mind of all thoughts. My meditation consists of a calm environment often putting on a cozy cabin or fire ambiance on the YouTube screen and just sitting in silence or pleasant reflection with myself and my animals and my family. I will sit there watching that screen and looking around the room and let the peace and comfort envelop me. It’s in these moments I can fully practice and appreciate gratitude for the little things I have in life and the long road it’s taken to get them.

Clearing the mind of negativity and embracing and enjoying simple breathing and sitting being healthy and sober and loved is the most powerful sober tool I practice and I practice it daily.

So yes - whatever meditation is for you - continue to embrace it and go back to it. And remind yourself you’ll never have that peace of mind ever again if you pick up because you won’t. You’ll be thrown right back into chaos and hell.

by: Paulmkellley 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to SurferRosa

Thank you 4 validating meditation. I do it in different ways different times throughout the day. Lately I have been just focusing on my breathing while getting water for my morning coffee. the longer I do focused breathing combined with trying to stay in the moment the more relaxed I seem to get. Such relaxation is conducive to sobriety for me.

by: Grateful 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Grateful

PaulmKelley That is so true for me too.

replying to Grateful

Grateful ❤️

replying to SurferRosa

I am proud oh the question or the thing that you wrote I love it

by: Cosmo 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to SurferRosa

I am proud oh the question or the thing that you wrote I love it

by: anonymous 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to anonymous

Cosmo ❤️

when did you relapse?

by: Bubbles 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Bubbles

Bubbles After beeing 8 months clean I relapsed 22th of February, then recovered and relapsed again the 11th of April, recovered and relapsed again the 13th of May and now I am clean again for twelve days. I meditated less and less since January.

I can relate. I was much better about meditating earlier in my sobriety. As I slacked off on that practice, I eventually noticed I wasn't making the same progress as before. And some bad habits (like a messier house, most notably) were returning. I'm currently trying to get back into it, concurrent with starting yoga classes.

Sitting and thinking about it now, I think meditation allows me to clear the path forward so I can more easily travel down it. I know the path forward but am less likely to travel it (or go as far) since I stopped meditating. It's like meditation allows the removal of the litter and debris life can leave lying around.

by: NoStinkinThinkin 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to NoStinkinThinkin

NostinkinThinkin This is it. This. Thank you so much for sharing. It feels like everyone responding about meditation ignites the spark again for me to return home to my Higher Power meditation, and I missed it so much and I fell. Just beeing, breathing in stillness leads me to acceptance and letting go. Then I am home to my true self. Thank you so much for your post. ❤️

replying to SurferRosa

Thank you! I feel the same way reading the comments here. If it helps, I have had excellent experiences with the meditation app Insight Timer. I just use the free option and it has access to a ton of very different options.

by: NoStinkinThinkin 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to NoStinkinThinkin

Hey NostinkinThinkin, that's a coincidence: I've been using an app for three years as well. And I started again yesterday with meditation by the way :) The app I use is Headspace with Andy Puddlecomble. Also there is tons of meditation ways and always a daily meditation. Practises. Sleep aids. and beautiful shorts about impermanence, that nothing ever stays the same. So important to beeing Mindful too.

Meditation is key. I open my bedroom window, turn the lights off and lay in bed and reflect on the day and process my thoughts. when people think of meditation they think of the hippy dippy legs crossed humming thing, no offense if that's your thing! meditation can just be taking the time to calm yourself and chill. it's important!

by: Strength_through_healing 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Strength_through_healing

Strength_through_healing ❤️

When I was sober I meditated all the time for two years. I relapsed in January and got sober on 4/20. Now I’m back in the habit of it. It’s ok if you stopped. You can always begin again.

by: americanslam 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to americanslam

Important for me to remember that if I pick up the first substance or give up on my daily recovery practiice, I may not be able to start over again. I always have another relapse waiting to happen, but I may not have another recovery. So if I stop doing what works (like meditation, connection to recovering people and lifechangong practices) I may not get the chance to start over.

by: Grateful 1 year, 10 months ago

keep up the meditation,have a look on the internet for different approches.we are always here as a listening,advising forum that we can can express our up and downs to.im glad meditation gives you strenght.i would also advise going to see your doctor who might give you medication or put you through to groups/people who are in similar suations.

by: Bubbles 1 year, 10 months ago
replying to Bubbles

Bubbles, I am seeing a doctor. Two actually. One specific for my drug abuse and one for my mental health. Ty for your caring reaction♥️