View All Subjects

When did you decide enoughs enough?

created by: Grateful 1 year, 8 months ago

At what point did you decide to stop using? Was it a sudden crisis? Was it a gradual decision? What happened? For me, it was flipping over my car.

by: Grateful 1 year, 8 months ago
replying to Grateful

Gradual I suppose in that my drinking just got worse and worse over time. But coming to the point where I first reached out for help, I was in pain a lot - driving over speed bumps in the road hurt, my stomach was swollen and sore, my head ached non-stop, and I was constantly blacking out - waking up at 4am in the living room, dragging myself upstairs to bed with no memory of whether I had put my son to bed, of whether I had cooked a meal. My work was suffering. I had a job interview (would have been a substantial promotion) and I promised myself I would not drink the night before it, but I did. I gave a crap performance, went home an drank two bottles of wine, I made an appointment to see a doctor the next week

by: cerulea59 1 year, 8 months ago

Consequences had little effect on my drinking ,i don't think it's a decision I made I think it's Gods grace by giving me awareness to see beyond the lies my alcoholic mind told me .
I didn't decide to see the truth but I did decide to follow suggestions. I made a decision with step 3 and that's where my head and heart need to reside .

by: AussieDrunk 1 year, 8 months ago

when drinking became my life, i couldnt go anywhere (if i did )without it ...
i pushed many people away...
liver disease (theres a big one)
constantly being sick..making meals for everyone else and me not being able to even eat it..yeah...i dont miss any of that...

by: Jraybunny 1 year, 8 months ago

Think it probably was that midlife thing, turning 45 and looking at where I was and what I was doing with my life. It really bothered me that I stopped writing and doing ceramics in my free time, or any other activity that had me move away from the TV and the couch, or just go outside. It seems  that the more I thought of dropping it, the harder I drank, so it went downhill really fast. Started blacking out a lot, leaving the stove on, messing up little things for work (or so I thought, but couldn't remember). I tried on my own and made it to 18 days, then to 4, then a week, but in between I couldn't stop drinking at all and this on-off went for two months or so, and eventually I got a really low and miserable self-image and hit what felt like bottom to me. So I called AA, met in person, and this pretty much shattered many illusions I had of myself and of how I thought it may work. Started again and it worked so far – fingers crossed.

by: Vita2037 1 year, 8 months ago

for me I was tired of it and people I was hanging out with just wasnt good for me. though I had relapsed once and I thought the first time would give me a wake up call from what happened but didn't had a relaps and have started again staying sober

by: Chrissaw 1 year, 8 months ago