View All Subjects

What is successful controlled drinking?

created by: Surfer12 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A Lie

by: AvitoPereira 1 month, 2 weeks ago

If a person can control their drinking permanently which I would class as successful it means they never were an alcoholic
Nearly every single alcoholic faces this delusion that somehow someday they can gain or regain control of their drinking.

by: AussieDrunk 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Something other people can do, but not me unfortunately

by: cerulea59 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Insidious thinking if you are an alcoholic. Yet time seems to incline an alcoholic to thinking he/she has “recovered” and can drink like a normal person. The great illusion of many alcoholics. In other words, as has been mentioned here, an alcoholic can NEVER control their drinking, let alone, “successfully.”

by: JibJab 1 month, 2 weeks ago

if something has to be 'controlled' it's by definition out of control

by: Luca21 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I wonder of this myself like if someone at some point gains control and stops drinking does this call them still an alcoholic for me I really don't know there are so many sayings about this and opinions

by: Chrissaw 1 month, 1 week ago
replying to Chrissaw

There are alcoholics and social drinkers. Social drinkers don't seem to wonder about whether they have a problem. They may think about it briefly, but they don't get apps to deal with it. Drinking doesn't cause them trouble. If you find you are wondering, if you find it has caused trouble, you have a problem and need to get help to stay stopped.

by: Grateful 1 month, 1 week ago

Not a reality for a real alcoholic. And anything you have to "control" is already out of control.

by: Tobielynnjones1984 1 month, 1 week ago

It simply means you're not alcoholic if you can successfully control your drinking lol
Some of us may have for a time in the beginning, but it's a progressive disease...
I know it's certainly something I know nothing about... after I take the first drink the allergy begins and I drink until I black out even if I set out only to have one.

by: Inubyte 1 month, 1 week ago
replying to Inubyte

Good point Inubyte. Simple and profound- if you can control your drinking it simply means you are not alcoholic. I will ask everybody- does it mean even the alcoholic never had periods of controlled drinking? Does it mean the one that is seemingly controlling his/her drinking just hasn’t passed over that invisible line to alcoholism? Is it just a matter of time for the uncontrolled drinking for an alcoholic?
From experience it was my first time drinking alcohol at 15 years old that I found I could not stop even in the face of trouble, hangover or violent retching over the toilet. Yet I had other times after that I drank with seeming impunity. It wasn’t until later that I realized the drink could not be controlled.
What do you think?

by: JibJab 1 month, 1 week ago

I would consider my mom to be in control of her drinking. She never has a hang over when everyone else who was at the party does. she will have a couple mixed drinks maybe a couple glasses of wine and she's good. I'm the opposite. I'm drinking before the party, I'm taking shots and drinking beers at the party, then I make sure I have beers to drink at home. I will drink until I go to sleep. my alcoholism has been a roller coaster for the past twenty years. At some points it was worse than it is now. For example I'm 4 days sober and just tapered down off a two week long binge that ended with two bottles of whiskey and 12 beers in a two day period. Alcoholics cannot stop. There is no off switch wired into our brain.

by: anonymous 1 month, 1 week ago

(Wouldn't know, can't remember,...)

I joke when saying that people who can control their drinking, actually don't like drinking. Think that whatever defines the 'need' for it (gaps or deeper unfulfillment of sort)  has a clue at what is un/controlled drinking, maybe... . Successful being occassional and without a pattern or deeper grip..

Only recently saw a quote by one of US generals how he liked whiskey, and always did, why he doesn't drink it. :) Thought it was funny....

by: Vita2037 1 month, 1 week ago