View All Subjects

Aa Group

created by: Charl 2 weeks, 2 days ago

So I've been in touch with AA and seems I really need to go to meetings rather than do it alone. I found one near me tomorrow afternoon but the thought of going is horrific up me, I'm very very shy. Any words of advice, I have no clue what to expect and don't even know if I'm bad enough to qualify,?

by: Charl 2 weeks, 2 days ago
replying to Charl

Everyone is nervous at their first meeting
It's one of those things that you will laugh at yourself later for ever having been afraid of it. You definitely qualify. Let us know how it goes.

by: Grateful 2 weeks, 1 day ago
replying to Charl

Hello Charl. Were you able to get to a meeting? I hope everything is well for you regardless of going to meeting or not. Thanks for being here.

by: JibJab 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Courage is doing the thing even when you're afraid. And just keep this in mind: even if you turn out to not be alcoholic... what do you have to lose by sitting in meetings and listening? The only requirement for membership in AA is the desire to stop drinking. You want to quit drinking? You belong. 🤗 Excited to see another update from you!

by: Inubyte 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I would encourage you to pick up a white chip, that way others know you're starting your new way of life. In the meetings I go to when someone picks up that white chip we recognize it and talk about our experience, strength and hope. Experience being what it was like before we decided to stopped drinking. I don't know what the meetings are like where you're from, but the first meeting I went to here everyone welcomed me with open arms. Of course I was nervous, but the pain of staying the same outweighed the fear of change. You may try a couple different ones because there's different personalities in all of them and they all have a different feel. You'll know which one is right for you.

by: Inubyte 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Good luck with that Charl. I am sure it is daunting (I have never been to a meeting) but a lot of people here speak so highly of it

by: cerulea59 2 weeks, 1 day ago

I think you know what you need to do ,you said you need to go then look at when thoughts take over,I don't want to . Follow that inner voice that needs help ignore the wants that's where our disease lives . Ask for courage and it will be given , it took courage to pick up the phone you are way half there .

by: AussieDrunk 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Hi guys. Sorry for the late reply. I did find a group. I reached out and have been very involved with them which is why I've not been on here as much. I have been overwhelmed by the kindness and acceptance I've received.
I'm reading my blue book and working the Steps.
I just want to say thank you to everyone on here, you've all been so encouraging, especially Jib Jab. You have shown kindness and concern from day one. I'm at the beginning of a long journey but I actually have hope for the first time in a long time x.

by: Charl 1 week, 6 days ago
replying to Charl

Make sure you keep us posted on your journey through the steps . Your experience can help brand new people see that AA works.
AA doors are always open to welcome us home ,surrounded by people that actually get and accept us ❤️ because they are us.

by: AussieDrunk 1 week, 6 days ago
replying to Charl

Hooray Charl! What wonderful news. When I woke up the morningsI say to myself “expect blessings today .” This morning I got it right away with your post. I am so happy for you. I tell my students the game of life is like riding a bike- you do the pedaling and God will steer you. You have a new Employer! We no longer have to run the world- what a relief. As Aussie said please keep in touch with us here as we too can hear about the miracle happening in you. Way to go!

by: JibJab 1 week, 6 days ago
replying to JibJab

Thanks for your message too JibJab. Grateful and hopeful today! Trying to do my Higher Power's will not my Lower Power keeps me sober. I keep pedaling.

by: Grateful 1 week, 6 days ago

Very happy for you Charl! Keep up the good work and faith ❤

by: Vita2037 1 week, 6 days ago

Thanks guys. Will do. Been to AA meeting everyday so far. And guess what. I know it's early days but it's working

by: Charl 1 week, 5 days ago
replying to Charl

Wonderful to hear Charl! It only gets better.

by: JibJab 1 week, 5 days ago
replying to Charl

Meeting makers make it. Way to go Charl!

by: Surfer12 1 week, 4 days ago

Congratulations Charl!

by: Inubyte 1 week, 5 days ago

Wonderful Charl! Just so wonderful!

by: Tiredand60! 1 week, 5 days ago

Still going strong. 1 week tomorrow. Finding the big book really amazing. Thanks guys

by: Charl 1 week, 4 days ago
replying to Charl

Yes Charl! I remember reading the Big Book the first time through. It was uncomfortably eerie. It was as if Bill was reading my mind. I could relate to it so much. I’m so happy for you Charl!!!

by: JibJab 1 week, 4 days ago

Thanks, your support has been so appreciated

by: Charl 1 week, 3 days ago