View All Subjects

Something clicked

created by: DA0523 1 year, 6 months ago

Hello! I posted for the first time here in June I believe. I posted saying (seeking help) that I want to quit drinking and that I knew it was best for me.
I am on Day 4 right now after a busy summer moving to a new town, renovations, family gatherings and busy adjusting with my own family and finding work. I would have breaks drinking but it would always lead to picking up a drink days or weeks later and that drink leading to blacking out or not being a reliable partner and parent. This pisses me off that I have known for years that I need to 100% quit yet I always am getting back into the bad habit. I drink one day, then it leads to the next and so on. I will look into AA and a sponsor or someone to chat to over phone. However, I am in a very small town and do not want to go to a meeting in person.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step- Lao Tzu

Or as my grandpa would say quoting Lao is:
Longest journey begins with a single step

by: DA0523 1 year, 6 months ago
replying to DA0523

Don't be ashamed to go to an in person meeting. Don't be ashamed of being an alcoholic.

by: Grateful 1 year, 6 months ago
replying to Grateful

I’m not ashamed to go to an in person meeting, I actually would much rather go to them. We just moved to a small town and I’d rather not go to one and I’m not sure if they even have them here.

can you find a group online that does zoom calls?or talk to people you are close to and rely on for example a friend or fanily member that you can trust.i also dont attend aa meetings or addiction meetings in feneral i tried a few and on one occasion i was offered a drink,not good!and on another people were getting high in thd toilet and right outside the door of the venue the addiction group was being held this did not help me.i do believe you need a great and strong willpower and really want to stop but this will always be tested and you might find reasons no matter how big or small to have a drink of take drugs.i do things to keep myself better for example writing,watching a tv series,cooking or goinv for a walk.good look you can do this!

by: Bubbles 1 year, 6 months ago
replying to Bubbles

Thank you for your message, Bubbles. Yes I am trying to keep myself busy and to form healthier habits. Lots of walks everyday and reading, cooking healthy meals. I have 2 children so keeping very busy with them as well. That’s why I find zoom meetings hard sometimes because it’s unpredictable when I can attend them with my sons naps

Think that it is a good idea DA... , to get in touch with AA and see how it can get done and it is available where you live. You may like it, or not like it, nothing to lose, but you do get perspective from people who have been living with alcoholism and staying sober.... You get ideas, tools, methods, reading materials, inspiration, no one forces you to stay and they do very much care to help you....There are no meetings where I live, had them for very short time -- so way lucky then, to go there in person at the time, as it worked well for me, because I had to face my drinking for what it is and then listened how achieving sobriety can be done...  etc..

it was said here and I agree, that recovery is a more relaxed and softer way to live... I worked on getting alcohol and cravings out of my system the best i knew how, and then hoped for a new way to go without any of it, from day to day -- it is very much a work in progress, but I am really happy with what my day-to-day looks like now.... It isn't easy and it takes time and daily effort, why the need for support groups. But absolutely worth it.... sure you know :)

Thank your for writing and sharing, happy that you're here.  .... :)

by: Vita2037 1 year, 6 months ago
replying to Vita2037

Thank you, Vita2037. I know Sobriety has everything I want and need in my life. It’s just nuts that I have been lost in this pattern of drinking for half of my life and also knowing that it’s not the best for me. On day 5 right now and feeling better and more motivated then I have ever felt about sobriety and my life. I will look into zoom meetings, AA and much more. I need to reach out to everyone close to me and tell them how serious I am to get better too.

welcome back day da0 🤗 Before I stopped drinking I really cloud not imagine what life would be like sober. After 365 days taking it one day at a time I was surprised I made it a whole year 😂 but it all started with the first day and repeat. The new freedom feels good, i think you will like it too. keep us posted and all the best.

by: Kermit 1 year, 6 months ago
replying to Kermit

Thank you very much for your positive message. You must feel so great after 365 days! Congrats! It definitely is a thing you have to look at a day at a time. When I drink 1 day it always always leads to the next day and the next. So damn addicting. On day 5 now and looking forward to many more days!