View All Subjects

Help With Going to My First Meeting

created by: SusanATX 4 years, 10 months ago

So tomorrow will be one week for me and so far it's been pretty easy. But I know that's not going to last and even though right now I feel like I can do this on my own, everything I've read and everyone I talk to tells me that's not true. So I know I need to find a meeting, but the thought of walking into a room full of strangers is terrifying, especially without having a few "cans of courage" first. Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

by: SusanATX 4 years, 10 months ago

At my first AA meeting I was hopeless.
I went to the A.A with the intention of quitting drinking and I did not know what I would find.
I was received with much love and affection, but I found some strange people, like my Sponsor, with an air of extreme Peace and Serenity. I distrusted, I thought it was a theater, that they would want to sell something to me. Gradually, upon hearing the testimony, I discovered that I was among equals and with each word I saw my actions when I uses to drink. My brother, I am 3 years Sober, but the most important is today that I did not drink. Stopping drinking is very important, but there is much more than that, a real reconstruction. I looked for the AA to stop drinking and gained day by day something I could never imagine. The Literature is rich, but it is at the meetings that energy recharges and helps
Our reconstruction. Enjoy that you stopped drinking and try to go to the meeting and begin your rebuilding. I quit drinking countless times, but quitting drinking and keeping old habits, for me, would be the harbinger of a tragedy.

by: jasand 4 years, 10 months ago
replying to jasand

Thanks. I guess I never thought about meetings being more than just helping you stay sober, they're about teaching you how to live sober. Quitting drinking is not about just not drinking, it's about what do I do instead of drinking. Great things to think about. I appreciate your insight. Make it a great day!

by: SusanATX 4 years, 10 months ago
replying to SusanATX

Perfectly, and no one better than those who were already in the dark to help you find your own answers. Comparing the phases I've stopped drinking without AA and now over the last three years, there's a big difference between being abstemious and being sober. In the period without drinking I Was abstemious, but with a mediocre life, with the same behavioral patterns when I uses to drink, in AA We usually say a Dry Drunk. In AA, I was abstemious and gradually the sobriety came and I struggle from day to day to keep calm. when sobriety arrives, the question is: And now, what do I do with my sobriety? now that I am no longer anesthetized, how do I resolve the issues? It is an emotional reconstruction, a journey of self-knowledge, a daily exercise. Realizing emotional triggers is as important as avoiding them. what keeps me alert and clear this perception are the meetings. the relapse does not start at the first drink, it ends at it. so the perception is very important. We are together on this journey,

by: jasand 4 years, 10 months ago