View All Subjects

10 days in and fear

created by: Jamie313 5 days, 6 hours ago

I got an email last night celebrating 10 days sober. I was actually really happy with that, it's the longest I have been sober in years.

When I woke up this morning though, I had horrible anxiety about a life time with out substance

I hate that feeling, as it takes over your whole body. I just wanted to reach out when things like this happen as it's something I haven't really done before in my recovery.

And this time I really want it to work!

by: Jamie313 5 days, 6 hours ago
replying to Jamie313

If we want it to work we have to put in the work and do things our minds don't want us to do .
In person meetings are a great way to meet people and get phone numbers to stay connected with people in recovery , when these feelings arise it's very helpful to talk to someone who has experienced exactly how you are feeling .
Just focus on staying sober today and congratulations on 10 days Jamie.

by: AussieDrunk 5 days, 2 hours ago
replying to Jamie313

Congratulations 🎈🎉🎊 In addition to the great comments here I play the tape forward to the end of a drinking spree. I am always fearful, anxious, separated, and depressed after a drinking jag. It is helpful to remind myself of these feelings. And as we don’t know what the future holds it may also include new worries like unemployment, DUI, lost relationship, etc. So my feelings are always bad and I may have “outside circumstances “ to deal with on top of that. That is enough for me to make it for rest of the day. Each day gets better, Jamie!

by: JibJab 5 days, 2 hours ago

Congrats on 10 days, you're doing so good! There's the quote I wanna share from the AA program, I believe and it goes, “One day at a time – The idea of giving up alcohol or drugs for the rest of your life is overwhelming. The good news is that you do not have to do this. You can approach recovery one day at a time. You do not have to worry about what is going to happen tomorrow or next week. You just have to get up each morning and commit to staying sober for the rest of the day – you don’t need to commit to anything more than that. By sticking to one day at a time, the days turn into weeks and the weeks turn into years.”

So, basically. Thinking about the future already is very overwhelming. You don't know what's going to happen even tomorrow. How a month from now, you're life could be so different. All you gotta focus on is Today.

One day at a time. You're doing so good, keep going! 🙌🧡

by: gothdetective 5 days, 5 hours ago

thank you for the messages, I appreciate the advice. it's actually very helpful to connect with people that understand what I'm going through.

goth detective you are right. I have been thinking up all sorts of situations and how i would deal with them. But really I just need to focus on the day in front of me and that doesn't seem as daunting.

hope you guys are good!

by: Jamie313 4 days, 10 hours ago
replying to Jamie313

Jamie, In the now, Keep it simple, one foot in front of the other, keeping our magic magnifying minds from wandering....this is a simple program for complicated people. Thanks for sharing and supporting Jamie... I can relate to you. For me simplicity starts with an awareness of my breathing and usually slowing it down. Mindfulness! Thanks for sharing. We need you!

by: Grateful 4 days, 1 hour ago