View All Subjects

End of the year holidays, dark times

created by: richard78 1 year, 4 months ago

Well in the US thanksgiving is tomorrow, christmas is about a month away as is new years and the weather in Washington DC is cold dark and depressing.

This is always the darkest time of year, literally and spiritually for me. The sunset is before 5pm and my depression peaks just in time for all this "celebration"

Last year I lost my sobriety on Thanksgiving, I drank almost everyday until mid January. I would start before 8am somedays, I wouldn't remember anything after 2pm those days.

So tomorrow is the day, we go to my in-laws who drink like fish, even before I walk in the door I will be greeted with booze.

Not sure what I'm looking for posting this, maybe just venting.... taking a deep breath and hoping it goes better than it has in the past.

by: richard78 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to richard78

Richard, please know you can change. You don't have to drink to deal with the weather and ignorant inlaws. I invite you to check in daily. It would inspire all of us to hear that you can make it through this. Many of us suffer from SAD...seasonal adjustment disorder, depression, and alcoholism. I am one of such people. By connecting to others in recovery like you, it helps keep me sober. You can even post to us during holiday visits..If you want, you are free to leave parties or take walks and come back refreshed. Make sure before going to parties you have eaten something and are as well rested as possible.

by: Grateful 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to richard78

You got this, this time! I know it sounds corny, but deep breathing really helps!! And bring some sparkling water...

by: Noralee 1 year, 4 months ago

Hi Richard, Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow. These ‘celebrations’ are huge triggers when you are a tiny minority at the party and everyone is boozing. It is the same for Christmas this side of the pond. Have you got a plan? Bring some NA drinks, tell the hosts (family?) you are not drinking so you may be under less pressure. Get out early if you have to. Let us know how you get on - rooting for you

by: cerulea59 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to cerulea59

Yes! I’m just a few days sober so I am packed with non-alcoholic wine, tea, and some herbal mood boosting drinks! I’m right there with you! We can do this!

by: Ashy 1 year, 4 months ago

Hey Richard- this is my first reply/“post” on here. I’m so glad I found this app via one of my rehab recovery friends, and was tech-savvy enough to find the forum within it. This is great.

First of all, I totally empathize with you with getting depressed at 5PM-ish when the sun goes down now. I’m also dealing with SAD I think, and it’s rough- I’m doing a LOT to combat it though and I can feel it making things gradually better. If you want, I can leave a reply on all those things I’m doing? Lmk.

But I feel for you. For me, finding a few top coping skills for specific holiday-triggering/SAD-triggering situations helps more than just having a big toolbox that I haven’t practiced or don’t really know if they’ll work during the moment.

For example, I’m driving TWENTY hours with my dad right now from Louisville, KY to Austin, TX and he’s driving me nuts… even though I’m so grateful to be with him. SO I’m employing breathing, prayer (from apps like this one and 24 hours and my spiritual toolkit), meditation, journaling and reading right now.

Here for you. Would love to see you check in during the holidays and hopefully will inspire me to keep doing so also.

by: AlyssaAddict 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to AlyssaAddict

Welcome Alyssa! So glad you are using your tools to stay clean and sober! I am going to keep feeding the good wolf today with kind acts rather than feed the bad wolf with anger. Grateful to be sober!

by: Grateful 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to Grateful

Yes let’s both keep feeling the good wolf. I’m in the ER right now filling an emergency script for my suboxone because they couldn’t fill my other one from KY in TX.

So grateful for all the good people here in the hospital and on this forum- helping each other grow and live together and thrive together.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Here for you and all of you if ya need me, and I need you guys too!

by: AlyssaAddict 1 year, 4 months ago