View All Subjects

One Day

created by: Shellz 1 year, 4 months ago

I went to my first AA meeting and cried quietly the whole time. They were super nice and gave me a booklet and a 24 hour coin which I keep holding onto and looking at. It's only day two but I'm trying. I'm sort of afraid of going to work today because there are 4 liquor stores near my office and they call to me every day. I literally will walk around the block in circles trying to get away from them as they pull me back, and will sit on a bench trying so hard to find the strength to leave. I look at people walking past me and I look at them and inwardly plead " help me"....most times I fail, but today is a new day and I'm going to give it my all to just come straight home after work. I really want to. I really do. Thanks for listening.

by: Shellz 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to Shellz

Hi Shellz, Well done on taking the first step. Strategy is really important in the early days - ban alcohol from your home if you can. And as to those liquor stores calling to you, they will continue to exert that pull for a while, so have a plan. Do walk circles around them (literally walk around the block as you say..), change your route so as to avoid them for now. Are there any other stores on route home you can call into - get yourself a little treat?

by: cerulea59 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to Shellz

Shellz, You are doing so well. I have been sober a long time. I started by going to about 4 to 5 AA meetings per week and also outpatient therapy. I got a list of people I could call from the meetings and I called them every time I got a craving to drink. Keep reaching out to us here too at least once a day. We need you!

by: Grateful 1 year, 4 months ago
replying to Shellz

Hi, Shellz.
Today is day one on the app, day 4 without drinking alcohol.
I just wanted to say good luck from one “newbie” to the next. I just imagine how good we will feel as we hit the milestones!

by: Ashy 1 year, 4 months ago