View All Subjects

Day 2 Sober-Time to be honest

created by: Mjacobson73 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi,

My name is Matthew. I’m 50 years old and an American that moved here to Australia 30 years ago. If you’re taking the time to read this, thanks.

I’ve had a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol for the last 20 years, at least. It seems there are various degrees of destruction and dependence that some feel qualifies an individual for the label of “alcoholic”. I’m not here to debate any of that. I just know that my drinking had held a power over me for many many years. It’s caused pain and destruction…until now.

Matt

by: Mjacobson73 10 months, 2 weeks ago
replying to Mjacobson73

The debate about being an alcoholic or not usually only occurs within ourselves .
How do you plan to stay stopped?

by: AussieDrunk 10 months, 2 weeks ago
replying to AussieDrunk

AD- Hey mate. The plan is simple. I’m taking Anabuse. It’s like Naltrexone. I stopped taking it for a couple of days so I could have a couple of drinks on a special occasion.

I ended up getting hammered (big surprise there) and covered in a rash, headache etc.

How you doing it?

Matt

by: Mjacobson73 10 months, 2 weeks ago
replying to Mjacobson73

Hey Matt ,
I practice a simple program for complicated people.
I realised I can't stay sober relying on myself . Reliance on a power greater than myself keeps me sober today.
In my experience there is no middle of the road solution to fight alcoholism it's a progressive and fatal disease which needs me to surrender daily.
I've had long periods of being dry but I struggled with life ,feeling restless irritable and discontent always lead me back to my medicine =grog . Today my medicine is practising gratitude and a willingness to get out of my own way

by: AussieDrunk 10 months, 2 weeks ago