View All Subjects

Returning into the world...

created by: Blondii1983 3 months, 1 week ago

Hi all. How did you manage to start going out again and being able to integrate into the 'going out' society. Not the issue of relapse, but being able to get involved in conversation with people etc?!

by: Blondii1983 3 months, 1 week ago
replying to Blondii1983

I started walking around the neighborhood, sometimes random occasions got people to stop and look at something and chat a bit. I joined a gardening group I volunteer with and in general I found volunteering for things in the community much easier because I am more confident now and the anxiety does not stop me from talking to people. Keep us posted. One day at a time

by: Kermit_ 3 months, 1 week ago
replying to Kermit_

thanks, that is a really great bit of advice! It's hard to stop feeling like you have a sign on your head saying "I am a recovering addict"

replying to Blondii1983

I signed in tonight with a similar issue. I’ve been sober for 2 years and 7 months! I have tickets to a concert and I’m afraid to go. Didn’t encounter this during the pandemic and I have skipped other events for fear of relapse. I associate drinking with a show like this and don’t want to backslide. Any advice out there?

by: PowderHound 3 months, 1 week ago
replying to PowderHound

Personally I would not go to any event if I couldn't trust myself not to drink or drug. I'm a similar length of time sober and the choice is simple as that, you're either ready or not. It's not the event or people you go with that make you pickup, it's you.

by: Cemlo 3 months, 1 week ago
replying to PowderHound

I am not scared of relapsing, but it's very difficult to get involved in those 'insuler' conversations people tend to get into when you are sober, so you end up sitting there like a lemon

replying to Blondii1983

I looked up the definition of insuler. Maybe I'm missing your point, but I think the people who I've encountered are more insuler when they are drunk.

by: Surfer12 3 months, 1 week ago
replying to Surfer12

That's what I mean, so it is harder to talk to them as the drunk tend to stick with the drunk

Spend more time with friends who don't drink or rarely do. Coffee, desserts, pizza, movies, nature walks, book presentations ....To me, going to clubs and bars isn't all that, many grow out of it, I did .... but that's just my opinion.

Drunk people are said to be honest, but they can also be stuck on a train of thoughts, as far as conversation goes. So I don't stay long. When conversation gets more difficult to follow and participate in, it just isn't interesting and in a way it is tiring and time to go. Happy to go to sleep, not be passing out. I won't suffer a hangover, or get myself into a struggle to quit it again. Think that fun is short lived and the price is too high.
Nothing wrong with pursuing healthy choices. "Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind."

From time to time I take evening classes, creative workshops, or join sports clubs, outdoorsy stuff, and meet people there, make new friends. I think that once you love your sober life the way it is and no longer have strong cravings, other people's drinking is irrelevant and you do what you are comfortable with and what works better for you.

Thanks for letting me share, hope it helps in some way. 😃

by: Vita2037 3 months, 1 week ago

Hello everyone
On week 10 in rehab,starting home leave on Saturday

by: JohnnyB 2 months, 4 weeks ago
replying to JohnnyB

Hi Johnny B, 10 weeks is wonderful, I am very happy for you and thanks for writing! I find it very helpful to read about different experiences. I look forward to seeing more of your posts :) Wish you the best, hope you continue with what you learned in rehab and take their recommendations as well ... day by day. 😃

by: Vita2037 2 months, 4 weeks ago
replying to Vita2037

❤️ grateful for you Vita! Happy Thanksgiving to all.

by: Grateful 2 months, 4 weeks ago
replying to JohnnyB

Like to welcome you too friend. Look forward to being part of your support and accountability team!

by: Grateful 2 months, 4 weeks ago