View All Subjects

4 days ago...

created by: Byyaga 3 months ago

4 days ago, after many years of drinking, i admitted i have a problem and used word "alcoholic" for the first time to describe myself. I have never seen that i have a problem, i thought i had drinking under control. I never missed day at work because of alcohol, never neglected my kids or family, how can i be an alcoholic? I stopped drinking for weeks many times, that shows i can control it, right? And after alcohol induced fight with my partner on Saturday and him leaving, on Sunday I woke up and took long walk. I thought of my life in past few years and realised I have a drinking problem... It's been 4 days, and I'm taking small steps into recovery.

by: Byyaga 3 months ago
replying to Byyaga

Welcome 🤗 Byyaga! This community here helped me stay sober for the last 2.5 years. I hear going to AA meetings and getting a sponsor can be also very helpful. I listened to the audiobook 'this naked mind's by Annie Grace in the first few days and I appreciated the voice in my ear to start. Going a day at a time is also a good strategy. You only have to worry about staying sober today. Tomorrow is another day you don't have to worry about yet. Just stay sober today. Come back here often to ask and read. It helps many to not be alone. Let's do this together.

by: Kermit_ 3 months ago
replying to Kermit_

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I don't have meeting in my area (I live outside US) but today I attended my first online meeting. I loved the energy and fact that everyone knows first hand what it takes to get help.
Yes, one day at the time!

replying to Byyaga

I hear you brother. Binge drinker here two weeks to the day sober. I fought with my care giver who lives above the garage on the property. "I'll do whatever I want on my property so get use to it " I'd yell when he voiced concern about me drinking and howling at the moon till dawn. Bless his little heart for caring for me while I was being an ass.

by: MikeG 3 months ago
replying to Byyaga

Hello byyaga
You're doing the right thing for admitting and recognizing the problems alcohol is causing you,it does indeed make our lives totally unmanageable and causes us to wreak havoc on everyone and everything
It takes a power greater than ourselves(God) to help us (I found him through pray)
If you can get a AA Big Book it really has a lot of truth and guidelines in it
Your kids are worth this sober journey...dont give up ! and don't pick up that next drink!! Come on line ..call somebody...I didn't do it soon enough for mine and both my adult kids are Alcoholics ..I lost my marriage,my job,drained bank accounts ect....
I'm praying for you to find strength and courage 🙏

by: Pambfree 3 months ago
replying to Pambfree

Thank you so much for your encouragement!
The fight i had with my partner and how I felt after I sobered up, keep me away from drinking now. But I'm afraid one day that memory will fade and I hope I will be strong enough by then. Those last 5 days feel like forever though...

replying to Byyaga

You can't rely on a memory to make you strong or change..you will have to have acceptance of the problem and seek courage from God and truly desire to change with his help (faith)
It starts with " How"

Honesty
Open mindness
Willingness

Seek and you will find knock and the door will
Open if you truly are sincere

by: Pambfree 3 months ago
replying to Pambfree

Thank you, that was very helpful.

replying to Byyaga

Welcome Byyaga!!! Glad you are here. Do you have meetings planned for the weekend?

by: Nakia 3 months ago
replying to Nakia

Yes, I have meeting planned for this evening. It's going to be difficult day as I have family party I really can't cancel and usually I used to drink before I even went. My friend is going to be there too, so I told her yesterday about my soberiety and she's going to support me. Cranberry juice and water for both of us.
I'm working on step 4 and realised I was drinking during those gatherings because I hold so much anger and resentment towards most of people there. Maybe that understanding is going to help me to stay sober.

replying to Byyaga

Good for you Byyaga for telling a friend about your disease and going with the friend to the party. Sounds like you have a good plan. Don't pick up the first drink. It's the first one that kills us, not the last. Looking forward to hearing how the party went.

by: Grateful 3 months ago
replying to Byyaga

Good stuff. Buddy system always work for me. Remember - one day at a time. (Add some sparkling water in your cranberry juice for a festive vibe 😊😊)

~Nakia 💜

by: Nakia 3 months ago
replying to Byyaga

Welcome and great to hear from you! I'm 78 days sober, it is definitely small steps one day at a time! Keep your head up!!

by: Tanis 2 months, 4 weeks ago
replying to Tanis

@Tanis, special prayers go up for you!

by: Grateful 2 months, 4 weeks ago

7 days sober! I didn't pick that first drink up, it wasn't easy, but prayer and talking to my friend helped a lot. Thank you everyone for your encouragement, you are amazing!!

replying to Byyaga

Thanks for letting us know. What a nice morning without hangover. I also like having an exit strategy in my head when I go somewhere.

by: Kermit_ 3 months ago
replying to Byyaga

Congratulations Byyaga! Thanks to your Higher Power.

by: Grateful 3 months ago