View All Subjects

Rebuilding :)

created by: Vita2037 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Last week, I spent three days in Dresden, wanting to see a city that's been rebuilt from the ground after complete destruction. In a way it was a spiritual journey, rebuilding a theme. So the skyline along the riverfront is almost the same as it was, but the city itself is of course different as times have changed and many things have vanished. It took decades and it started with clearing the rubble by hand. In 1946 they said, 38 whole clean bricks for the payment of 5 marks, something in that sense. It was mostly women who worked on the ruins. And so it went day after day, separating the good bricks and other reusable material, following an idea that it is possible to have a breathing city again. Transit lines and roads came first. Communication. I imagine that for a very long time all they were seeing was an unending work in progress, the ruins would continually remind one to let go of the former splendor and work towards the future with hope. When you look at some rebuilt palaces, churches, you don't pinpoint or count the old bricks and there is a consolation that with time these will become one and the same. Renovations are still done as in any living city.

Rebuilding oneself I imagine then does not come to a halt at any point either, except death. It changes intensity, shifts focus, but growth is continuous. The beginning of it is grinding difficult work, clearing out the rubble and working through the ruins, then taking the good parts, like honesty, perseverance, smarts, drive, creativity, resilience and integrating them into a new life. So in the end, it is still me (you) even though our lives and who we were had collapsed completely.

This is oversimplification. But travelling, looking from the outside in and as a stranger, I just get to see the obvious. :)

Thanks for being here and reading if you did. Have a nice day, clean and sober! :)

by: Vita2037 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to Vita2037

Thank you for sharing. This is a beautiful and tangible analogy. I also didn't know that the city was rebuilt mainly by women, what a fascinating shift in my perspective that made. I've been thinking about how everyone I've ever seen in recovery have been men, they's no women in my head who've taken this path. It's been an isolating thought, and likely has kept me away from sobriety until now, I'm 19 days into this. This being the first time I'm seeking support.

by: PDice 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to PDice

Stopping drinking/drugging is the master password, but it is not enough.

The emotional reconstruction from my Alcoholism occurs day by day. The breaking of patterns of behavior brings me more and more Serenity. Steps 4 through 7 get rid of the decay. The meetings have been very important, because through them I always remember that I have an incurable disease and it leaves me alert as to the return of old patterns. I can only tell you that you will gain day by day what you never imagined. It's slow, not easy, but it's worth it. It is often said at recovery meetings that the disease goes out through the mouth (by sharing feelings rather than drinking over them) and the medicine enters through the ear. And this has kept me clean and sober, just for today.

Today I will remember that the person I was will drink and use again. I will not fear changing myself and how I respond to people, places and situations.

Check: https://www.amazon.com/One-Minute-Serenity-Revised-Strategies/dp/B0BNVF9Q44

by: Grateful 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to PDice

Welcome PDice, happy you are here.

~Nakia 💜

by: Nakia 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to Nakia

Thank you. I'm finally ready.

by: PDice 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to PDice

Thank you Pdice! 19 days is wonderful! Wish that you persist and keep going, eventually it is part of the way you live, alcohol free.. .  :)

Can't say that I didn't have a stereotype alcoholic's image in my life and that I didn't think "i am not that bad"... but as is already known alcoholism can afflict anyone and it it can surpass them regardless their choice of drinks or ability to self-control... Silly beer surpassed me. Never thought that It would become a center in my life, even though whatever my plans, I needed to know when the next opportunity to drink was and how I can make it come by sooner...

Anyway. Happy that you are here and sharing. Hearing different perspectives and experiences helps me stay aware and sober  :)

P.s. So many men died in the war, so it was mostly women who worked on clearing the ruins. Of course there was machinery too.

by: Vita2037 2 months, 3 weeks ago
replying to Vita2037

Thank you Vita ❤

by: AussieDrunk 2 months, 3 weeks ago