View All Subjects

Trying this sober thing..

created by: Zwansong 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Alcohol has always put a huge part of my life. From my mother being a recovering alcoholic and drug addict to my own consumption. I never really felt that I wasn't addict per se. but I guess every person thinks that at some point. Many of the things that have happened to me that were negative, happened because I was drinking or because I was drunk. I'm at a point where I don't really know what to do anymore. I feel like my marriage is failing due to both of our alcohol consumptions. We recently went on vacation for an overnight trip and instead of going to do something fun( a museum, a romantic dinner., a boat ride) or see something cool, we went to a few different bars, got completely wasted, ended up fist fighting in the parking lot(we are both men). I'm so embarrassed, sad, Am at total loss of what to do. Not sure who to talk to or if being sober is the path that needs to happen. I figured I would try it and see what 30 days with no alcohol looks like and go from there

by: Zwansong 1 month, 3 weeks ago
replying to Zwansong

Hey there….good on you for giving it a try. Go for 30 days if you can. Try having one or two drinks and that’s it…..maybe you can stare at a bottle of alcohol sitting on the shelf or a beer in the fridge and be fine w/ taking it or leaving it, no biggy. I know I’m an alcoholic b/c I’ve tried everything in the books to control my drinking and though at 1st i may be able to, i always end up in the same place inevitably….drinking till there’s nothing left. My sponsor let me know i can keep digging as long as i want to find my own personal rock bottom, but i’m done digging now. If you can’t control your drinking try check out an AA meeting….you’ll know for sure if you can identify w/ what the symptoms are. My partner stopped drinking before me, but none of that matters, they’ve got their own journey to create and if it’s meant to be you will reconnect when the time is right. We stoked our alcoholic fires for years before we finally looked at our problem as individual and not in a partnership. I sincerely wish u the best of luck in your journey, thanx for posting.

by: lupe 1 month, 3 weeks ago
replying to Zwansong

Hey there….good on you for giving it a try. Go for 30 days if you can. Try having one or two drinks and that’s it…..maybe you can stare at a bottle of alcohol sitting on the shelf or a beer in the fridge and be fine w/ taking it or leaving it, no biggy. I know I’m an alcoholic b/c I’ve tried everything in the books to control my drinking and though at 1st i may be able to, i always end up in the same place inevitably….drinking till there’s nothing left. My sponsor let me know i can keep digging as long as i want to find my own personal rock bottom, but i’m done digging now. If you can’t control your drinking try check out an AA meeting….you’ll know for sure if you can identify w/ what the symptoms are. My partner stopped drinking before me, but none of that matters, they’ve got their own journey to create and if it’s meant to be you will reconnect when the time is right. We stoked our alcoholic fires for years before we finally looked at our problem as individual and not in a partnership. I sincerely wish u the best of luck in your journey, thanx for posting.

by: lupe 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I think the one or two drink experiment is dangerous because if I were to do that and fail , which is a likelihood, I could potentially drive drunk and kill someone.

by: anonymous 1 month, 3 weeks ago