View All Subjects

How to deal with staying sober for good

created by: Antjones 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I’ve been going to AA meetings and am taking meds to reduce cravings but still find it hard and feel like I may slip back into my old ways does anyone have any tips for someone like me I’ve been sobar since the 9th

by: Antjones 1 month, 3 weeks ago
replying to Antjones

In the early days, I tried to stay focused on what was right in front of me. I also realized that if I let myself get bored, my mind would gravitate towards drinking. Are there any hobbies that you left behind for drinking? Rediscover them. Do you live in a nice/niceish climate and can get your body moving? Now is the time.

Keep busy and stay hydrated. Don't let yourself get hungry. And REST. You may feel really tired as your body recovers.

Keep posting.

~Nakia 💜

by: Nakia 1 month, 3 weeks ago

When I feel a little slippery I remind myself why I decided to stop drinking in the first place. I have a pretty good reason and it still is.
It's not like you can click your heels and go over a rainbow to sobriety. Sometimes it's damn tough. I had times when I told myself "I'll stay sober another hour " Then when that passed I'd say it again until I felt alright.
Take it a day at a time and don't take that first drink. Makes it easier.

by: MikeG 1 month, 3 weeks ago

"Let us express our envy for the man with a steady job and no worries about the future" - Ezra Pound, Further instruction. I like that poem. Mostly I like my routines, they help me keep grounded.

Accepting sobriety as a way of living at first seemed to have many loose ends. For me it was necessary to cross out all foreseeable exceptions and replace them with something else that would be fun too.. On the other hand, you can make new routines and habits that give way to sober lifestyle.
My day-to-day revolves around routines which mostly I don't mind, but that one which was drinking after work had to go...That needed to be replaced, and eventually I became used to doing this other thing after work.

There is a neat phrase by Dr. Jung that I came across early on "spiritus contra spiritum.", or spirit vs. spirit. So my internal need for drinking and continuous swarm of the like thoughts, can perhaps be seen as a spirit over which I really haven't control - it has its own agenda and it won't go away forever because I wish it so... Thought a lot about that phrase, and about that other spirit that would keep the first one in check. Think that it may have come to life just like the alcohol one, with daily attention and awareness. Going to meetings often would help with it, then being involved and proactive about it... keep learning, one day at a time. Some things we get to see once we pass them, so trust the process they say..

Hope this helps, thank you for sharing... hope you write again and share how it is going...:)

by: Vita2037 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Focusing on a goal that alcohol prevents me from attaining motivates me to stay sober.

by: Grateful 1 month, 3 weeks ago